Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Couple of Basic WA/WB Hands

Way Ahead/Way Behind is a concept I've learned only recently. In Hand 1, I believe I misapplied it (i.e. after it got heads up, I think I should've switched to a WA/WB line) and in Hand 2, I folded to a raise after (I think) properly applying WA/WB.

I'd like comments on all streets. Thanks.

------------------------------------

Hand 1

I don't have much of a read on MP2 except that he appears to be a fairly standard calling station. I think I should've switched to a WA/WB line on the turn -- that is, check/call the turn then bet the river.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (12 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

------------------------------------

Hand 2

Villain is a very decent player. Generally raises solid hands and is appropriately aggressive. I've never seen him do anything too crazy (or, if I did, I didn't take a note on it). Is folding the river here okay?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Couple of Basic WA/WB Hands

Since you are OOP and you think that you are WA/WB( not sure if this is the best example) then the correct line would be check call, check call, bet
Old 08-03-2005, 04:03 AM

Are you supposed to bet and fold to a raise on the river following this line? If so, I'm a little confused about the c/c, c/c, bet wa/wb line. If you're going to bet the river and fold to a raise, why wouldn't you just check/call and see a showdown for the same price?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you supposed to bet and fold to a raise on the river following this line? If so, I'm a little confused about the c/c, c/c, bet wa/wb line. If you're going to bet the river and fold to a raise, why wouldn't you just check/call and see a showdown for the same price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Me
Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 AM

#1 is not WA/WB. You are very likely to be ahead.

#2 I fold preflop. The rest looks ok.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:14 AM

I like both hands. Hand one is not WA/WB because he could have overcards to your pair with 6 outs. You should bet the turn if he has overcards to your pair. Easy fold when raised with your read.

Hand 2 is good also. Calling or folding the river is very read dependent. If he recognizes your line he could raise with a lower pocket to make you fold a better hand. Call the first time against an unknown.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Fold preflop, are you nuts?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the link!

I'm still a little confused about this line when heads up though.

You bet on the river, and if you're ahead he's going to call rather than raise, if you're behind, he's going to raise and you're going to fold (assuming he won't raise with a worse hand, in which case you lose a whole pot). If you're ahead and you check, he might check as well, costing you one BB. Is the one BB you'll lose if you both check on the river really worth losing the whole pot to either a) a LAG, or b) someone who recognized the wa/wb line you took and countered it?

Sorry, just trying to figure this out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Fold preflop, are you nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

A8s is usually my cutoff for limping.

I want more limpers to limp A6s. I'd much rather limp something like 86s here.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:06 AM

A6s on CO after two MP limpers will be a profitable hand on 0.5/1 full. Do you fold A6s on CO shorthanded with two limpers as well? I would rather raise than fold.