Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Is Paul Maxfield a complete moron???

Heads up vs. Tuan Le, he raises to 2 million w/ K8, then Le moves in, Maxfield calls like a shot. Le has A4s I think. Maxfield tells Marcel Luske that he had to call b/c he only had 3 million left.

Duh, he had to call, but who the hell plays heads up like that? Ever hear of moving it all in on the first raise??

P.S. I already hate this guy from last year. He was at my table on Day 2 of the WSOP ME. It folded to him in the SB and he wanted to raise, couldn't decide an amount, then moved it in. I had a big stack and called w/ 33, I knew it was the best hand b/c of the way he raised, plus I was getting 1.5 to 1. He then berated me after winning the flip. He's a dick.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Is Paul Maxfield a complete moron???

Of course we don't see all the hands, but:

He had a huge chip lead 16.4 mill vs Tuan's 6 mill at one point, I think he could wait for slightly better cards.

He certainly handled it differently then I would have with that much $ at stake.

The: I CAN'T WATCH routine was quite absurd too. Act like you've played before....

I am wondering if the WPT folks were play testing the 3 hour format.

-Bri
Old 06-30-2005, 07:25 AM

I don't think Maxfield is. I think Tuan is. I watched that episode last night and was absolutely appauled. Tuan's strategy - just fling all your chips in on inside str8 semi bluffs and get lucky. I thought Gus Hanson was brilliant, but Tuan came off as just an ignorant gambler. Clearly he did not deserve to win. Had it not been for Hasan mis-speaking call instead of raise, he would have been third where he deserved to be and that's being generous. This guy is great for poker. I hope to meet hords of players who play just like he does.
X
Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 AM

yes he is [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Paul Maxfield a complete moron???

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably.

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up vs. Tuan Le, he raises to 2 million w/ K8, then Le moves in, Maxfield calls like a shot. Le has A4s

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly for me, the biggest tourney I ever played in ended like this. 3rd hand of heads-up, I had K8 and re-raised all-in against a min-raise. The other guy had A6 and a 5x chip lead. Complete moron play on my part (on the drive home, I couldn't stop thinking how effective a stop & go would have been). But I found that after playing 14 hours of poker, it's easy to make a stupid mistake. Paul, being an amature, might have been as ill prepared as I by the time he'd made it to heads up.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:31 AM

Maxfield is from England and used to playing pot limit. Also, some players with the lead like to make a smaller bet so that they can use their large stack on the flop. Obviously, if Maxwell had open pushed, Le would have called and the result would have been the same.

I agree open pushing would be better in that situation, particularly against a strong aggressive player.

The WPT Championship is pretty tough tournament, so it is a pretty good accomplishment for a moron to come in second, particularly against two professionals who had stakes in each other.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 AM

I think it's safe to say that a reviewing of his play when he flopped aces and eights should provide a fairly definitive response.

How often do you see a guy BUTCHER every street with the best hand???!!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 PM

I think turn check was fine but he definitely needed to call river.

and flop underbet was ugly.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think turn check was fine but he definitely needed to call river.

and flop underbet was ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn check is what put him into the river quandary. SOME sort of bet is mandatory. Would he have mucked to a big reraise? I doubt it, against Tuan. So why put yourself into a position where a maniac can try to take the pot away from you on the end?

I maintain that he misplayed every street. I don't think you can give a free card on the turn, and even if the river is innocuous, if you intend to fold to a big bet on the river when the board isn't exactly terrifying, maybe you should just fold preflop with A8. It's not as if there was a one-card straight on board at the end.

Hated the way he played this hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:22 PM

I think checking turn to induce bluff from Tuan is fine.

I would have even called river push.

I think betting the turn is a mistake because I think Tuan would have checkraised there anyways and you find it much harder to call that and you also lose the small opportunity to hopefully boat on the river.