Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 02:28 AM

Default AQo on the button

Edit: Obviously not on the button here as the title states, but was last to act after the flop.

I'm not happy with my river play here, but I'm still not 100% sure what the proper response to a raise would have been if I had bet.

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Assuming that you bet the river and get raised, do you put in a third bet or just call?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Re: AQo on the button

I think checking the river here is ok.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:08 AM

Caveat: I'm really bad at this and mostly just getting my thoughts out so I can have my balls busted and get better.

The range of hands you're up against, most likely to least likely:

Qx (and possible a busted 2 pair thanks to the river)
A flush
A busted straight draw.
A boat (I think this is avery unlikely as he didn't raise the flop)

I call a re-raise.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:20 AM

agree with Clarkmeister, i think checking the river here is not so bad. If you're lucky BB has Q2 and got counterfeited, but after the 3-bet and cap, BB may think a c/r with a 9 will be a good idea?? Unlikely but possible.

I think check it through and take a not on what BB called the flop with.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 08-06-2004, 05:00 AM

He really liked the queen. I doubt he has a nine unless he's got Q9 - unlikely given his flop play.

I'm guessing he turns over Q2 or Q3 and curses the river.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:16 AM

I would usually bet this, however, Clarkmeister says it's ok to check and he almost has to be right, probably a 100-1 favorite when it's his advice vs mine, so check.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:23 AM

I may just call the turn 3-bet since you are then heads-up, in which case I would have bet the river if checked to but called if bet to. However, since you capped the turn checking through seems fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that you bet the river and get raised, do you put in a third bet or just call?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would just call. I think 3-betting would be spewing chips.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:12 AM

I have a question concerning the flop. I would usually raise the flop in last position on this type of hand. If everyone checks to me on the turn and I didnt catch and A or Q I would check behind them. This is typically how I would play and two big overcards to the flop in last position. Is this a leak in my game?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:41 AM

I would raise the flop. MP might have a flush or straight draw on this board and I might win unimproved if I get it heads up and he misses. This may also allow me to take a free card on the turn or bet the turn and take a free showdown.

I just call the 3-bet on the turn. You only have one pair. The key idea is you have exactly the hand BB expects you to have for your preflop and turn raises. He can see his hand and he thinks it's better. Case closed.