Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Re: How bad did I screw this one up?

I agree with your basic reasoning BlackAces13, but I tend to play this type of situation differently, given that I would rather not end up HU against a raiser (something I think is a real possibility in this situation given that if a player behind me raises a made flush I could very well end up drawing paying another bet in a situation where though I am getting the odds the situation favors the made flush).

For me, the difference between this and the normal aggressive handling of a nut-flush draw (which I have no problem doing) is the fact that the board is scary even for loose players and a raise will tend to knock out people who like to call, coupled with the fact that a made flush will put a lot of pressure on.

Anyhow, I appreciate your thoughts BlackAces13. It gives me something to consider.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:43 AM

This is why posting while playing is a bad idea. I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted that.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your pre-flop decision depends quite a bit on what you think of the UTG player. Is he a loose raiser, or does he seem to be reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG had been playing it pretty loose.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:12 AM

With only one caller inbetween you and UTG, I would re-raise if he's a loose goose and there's a reasonable chance you can knock out those behind you. (If the blinds are super loose, you have another decision to make.)

When I first read your post I saw where it said "six players", but didn't realize most of them came in behind you.

Since he's been raising light and there's only caller between you, I'm changing my vote to re-raise. You might get a chance to buy the button, and be in a 3 way pot with position. Plus, raising is more fun.