Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Re: AKs hand

This is exactly why all the pros will tell you, AK is the hardest hand to play. We could probably find plenty of reasons for both actions but in the end, I dont think there is a "proper way" to play AK. If poker was a routine then no one would ever lose money, theyd just learn the routine. Personally, i play AKs how it feels comfortable, ill raise when i see fit and limp when id rather. Ive made much more $ than ive lost with it (exact figures i dont know, i lost PokerTracker when i reformatted) and i was just providing some insight into how and why i play AK the way i do.

Ancient, do you have a messenger service? Ive seen you do a lot of posting on this and would like to be able to discuss certain hands in real time, rather than through posts.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we're talking about PartyPoker, which i believe the original post was talking about,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pokerstars. It says "pokerstars" by the hand history. People respect my flop bets.

My problem with checking on this draw-heavy board if that there is a decent chance this player does in fact have a draw, and I'm surrending a pot where I'm actually ahead. Plus, it's very possible a flop bet here will fold 9s, 8s, etc. which if I check, will stick around and once again take "my" pot.

As another poster said, I should've thought about this flop, and that it probably "did" hit people, therefore I can't really pick it up. Which is very true, and I should've thought about. But there are many cases where, on the exact flop, the near pot bet on the flop takes it down.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:01 AM

The only way I play this hand differently is when I still didn't catch on the turn. Maybe I'm weak tight, but I would check. Depending on how much the CO raised (assuming they do) I might call, I might give it up.

This is what can be so frustrating in these games. What is the CO doing calling a $5 raise with QTo preflop in the first place? You lose a large pot to a guy playing like that preflop is when you just start begging the poker gods to give you some decent cards so you can bust this guy.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:02 AM

Also, I'm with you on big slick. Right now, it's a money loser for me too. Very frustrating hand sometimes.