Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: What hands win big pots?
others (J4 os) 2 7.41%
one/two-gappers (like 86os) 0 0%
suited connectors 6 22.22%
big hands (QQ/AK-type) 12 44.44%
small pairs 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: pushing in the orange zone (PP$150)

[ QUOTE ]
since, no one has chosen "fold" yet, can those who advocate the "~3 BB raise" option comment on what they'd do if they got re-raised pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
You just can't answer this type of question. And that's probably the key difference between STT and MTT. In an STT (and while I play mainly MTTs I've got at least a couple thousand STTs under my belt so I know something about them) play is much more systematic. Blinds escalate rapidly. Bubble play comes quickly. Unless you've played with someone previously you often don't have great reads.

With an MTT you just can't say something like "well if somebody pushes I'll call" or "I'll call one raise but fold to a raise and a re-raise". It all depends. Who is pushing? How have they been playing? How big is their stack? How have I been playing? Does it look like I'm stealing? When are the blinds increasing? What's the current money situation?

There are too many factors that need to be considered and you need to think through some of these prior to even deciding what to do.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are too many factors that need to be considered and you need to think through some of these prior to even deciding what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i agree ... it all depends. it always depends.

but if we take that to its logical extreme, no one should have answered the poll at all or there should have been an option for "none of the above/it depends".

but if someone chose "~3BB raise" vs. "push", i would have assumed that they had already made their own assumptions about what they'd do if met with resistance in order for them to choose one vs. the other.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:24 PM

I didn't even realize there was a poll. IMO polls are pretty silly on these types of topics. I guess I blanked it out because of my bias against them.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:14 PM

Good point and thanks for the reply. So that is one possible standard raise play: raise with the intention of calling an allin from an aggressive player, but not a tight one. What do you do if you get one caller? I think it's either push the flop or check and fold at that point, since continuation bets are not really orange zone material, are they?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:35 PM

i think it's probably a tossup as to which play is more profitable (push, limp, 3x, i don't think folding is an option) they'll all make you money. i'd think about limping, and if raised, maybe push on it. The more i type about that, the more i like it.