Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: 10/20 blind steals

I agree with bobbyi on hand 1. Not a lot of hands you'll fold and it'll probably take another bullet to fold AK and AQ and they may not on a blank.

Hand 2 is OK but I'm not sure it's any better than calling down. Check the river.

I don't like hand 3 much at all- what kind of range do you put this guy on after his flop 3-bet? I think you have very little fold equity and he's blocking any free card attempts too often for this to pay.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:12 AM

these must have been succesful since you continued to play them aggresively. if any of them failed contiuning to do it is bad.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 is OK but I'm not sure it's any better than calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note that if the opponent is still firing here with a hand like AJ here, he has nine outs to beat us. Getting him to fold that getting better than 7:1 is quite a coup (not to even mention the possiblity that he folds the best hand holding something like 99). If the board weren't paired over us, AJ would only have 6 outs to beat us, so getting him to fold wouldn't be that big a deal. Not only does the paired board make us want him to fold more, but it also means that it is more likely that he will fold because of the danger of drawing dead. That's a great combination.

Of course, he also has to worry that he only has three outs against a king that sandbagged the flop. That king is a scary card for many of his holding as there are many KX hands with which we would open on the button but not cap pf. It's also a rainbow board which is great for us because it means he can't convince himself to call by thinking we could be make a move with a flush draw (and, to a lesser extent, because he himself can't have one). (Similarly, there are no straight possiblities on this board).

For these reasons, I think raising is better than calling down. There are times when this move is good and times when it's not, but for my money it's really hard to find a better board that K882r.

(Side note: I really love the topic of board texture. If I ever write a book on poker, I would organize everything based on the texture of the board rather than on what sort of hand you have.)
Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do we think of capping preflop in hand 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

We likes but we tries not to mentions
Old 12-21-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Side note: I really love the topic of board texture. If I ever write a book on poker, I would organize everything based on the texture of the board rather than on what sort of hand you have.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree board texture is a very interesting topic and should really be more definitive of how people play their entire range of hands than most people give credit for.

As for the turn 33 raise, I'm thinking you may be right- change the 2 on the flop to a 4 and I def like a raise. But a lot of those times he has AJ, you'll get an extra bet after he check-calls a blank river to balance out the extra card he gets to see.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Hand 1: I think this is only a good idea if you plan to follow through on the river. Overcard (ace-high) 3-betting hands will call the turn raise.

Hand 2: I like it and I would pray the 2 on the board pairs, but I'm greedy.

Hand 3: I think you should have changed gears here. You've already established that you "von't be puush'd ar-rount". Call the flop and try to hit your outs to give you some more folding equity when you need it. Blind steals aren't just about raising imo. It's about pace.

- Jim