Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 10:30 AM

Default How do you play in these situations?

The pot is small, your opponent is betting into you, and may very well be bluffing. You have a hand that is proably best and isnt very vulnerable, but on the other hand youre not likely to get a lot of action unless youre beat.

A couple of examples:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.20 BB

Whats your standard line vs. different types of opponents?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: How do you play in these situations?

I fold hand two pre-flop and would toss in a flop or turn raise on each hand. Different story if there aren't any draws out there, but there are, so I pop both hands once.

Scott
Old 02-18-2005, 12:25 PM

Against passive predictable players I would call the flop and then raise the turn in each situation, folding to a 3-bet.

Against tricky agressive players capable of bluffing and laying it down, I would call the flop and turn and then raise the river and calling a 3-bet. I also bet if checked to.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2 is a little loose for me pre-flop. Post-flop, I probably look to raise flop or turn, with the intention of checking behind on a later round -- you should get the showdown for the same price or save an SB. And you can fold to a 3 bet safely against most opponents.

Bottom line is he probably has a gutshot and/or pair (think J9o) so you're usu better off raising turn b/c he won't pay off river in a lot of these situations where he would call turn.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 PM

This is one way of playing top pair/kicker problems, but when you're blind battling or headsup, I like a little more aggression.

In hand one, if your read is he's skittish and able to fold, perfect line. I find that SB's that open complete are often on something that's drawish T8s or such. I would often pop the flop and bet the turn, where he usually folds.

In the second hand, the table is four handed. I think you've got to loosen up to encompass K5s, which I would open raise. Those blinds are going to come around rapidly and you've got to play cards. I think I would pop the flop and then bet/call down. Gutshot with a T or 9 will probably see a river.