Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Stars Micro Games

Just curious to know if anyone has found the micro limit games on Stars to be profitable. I've played mostly micro on Party, where the games are loose and juicy, but when I tried a little action on Stars out of curiosity, I found the games to be completely different. Most pots are heads-up on the flop, and almost all are by the turn. The only time these games seem to loosen up are on weekend nights, but even then, not terribly so.

Has anyone found these games worthwhile, or should I just stick to Party?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Stars Micro Games

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious to know if anyone has found the micro limit games on Stars to be profitable. I've played mostly micro on Party, where the games are loose and juicy, but when I tried a little action on Stars out of curiosity, I found the games to be completely different. Most pots are heads-up on the flop, and almost all are by the turn. The only time these games seem to loosen up are on weekend nights, but even then, not terribly so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found them to be beyond profitable. For me, the allure of Party is just the availability of numerous games 24/7. During peak hours in my time zone, I find other sites (including PS) to be more profitable. Perhaps that's just my sample though.

P.S. this comment pertains to $0.50/1, $1/2 and $2/4 ... mostly the latter 2.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 PM

The games at PS are tighter, but that doesnt mean they arent profitable, just a little less profitable.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:38 PM

I've found 6-max and shorthanded tables at Stars to be as soft as, say, Absolute, which many here seem to love.

Full ring isn't quite as weak-tight as Absolute or the x-skins (rare bonuses/no rb means few playing for reasons other than to win/learn) but on the whole, the players at Stars seem more serious about their poker (even at the nanolimits).

Few sites can beat Party for game softness. Paradise does, but everything else about them sucks.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:16 PM

Beating .50/1.00 for 4bb/100 is possible.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:24 PM

If by Party Micros you mean .5/1, then just stick around at Party. If you've been playing the beginner .25/.5 on Party, there isn't much difference between the two sites. If you haven't hit the Pokerstars first deposit bonus I'd go do it.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 PM

I've found 1/2 full ring to be a waste of time, and 1/2 6-max to be a very very nice game. Haven't messed around at other limits on stars yet.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 PM

Actual results for $.50/$1 since September 14 in chronological order:

Absolute -1.32BB/100 Hands 3,668 Hands
Party Beginner's +8.87BB/100 Hands 3,676 Hands
Party +5.36BB/100 Hands 3,360 Hands
PokerStars -0.65BB/100 Hands 2,862 Hands

There are not enough hands here to be statistically significant but there is a trend and I have sometimes gotten the feeling that a number of posters here have decided to turn professional after playing fewer hands then I have at Party [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Do I think it is worthwhile to play at sites other than Party? It depends, I suppose. Keeping in mind that I just started in playing poker in August (and didn't buy PokerTracker until getting killed at Absolute), I am reasoning that it takes better competition to improve and that facing better competition means losing money and that I would rather lose money at this point at lower limits. So I made the conscious decision to try playing at PokerStars under the cover of a $150 bonus. I do feel that it is making me a better player, so I have to say that it has been worthwhile for me. Your mileage may vary [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].
Old 10-31-2005, 08:36 PM

Party generally has the loosest tables, but they're not that much better than elsewhere. Party has higher rake at 0.50/1, too, so that digs into your win rate. If you feel consistently outmatched at any site at 0.50/1, there are leaks in your game. You've come to the right place.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:41 PM

How close are you to clearing your $150 bonus at Stars if you don't mind me asking? I see you played 2862 hands there and I'm curious how many pots reached $10 or more at .50/1. I have a couple bonuses stacked there and I've been trying to clear them playing SNGs but that's a lot of fricken SNGs.