Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Did you ever wonder?

I'm going to take the chance at getting beat up on this post...

Did you ever wonder if this game wasn't for you? Sometimes I feel like I just don't get it. No matter how much I play, I'm just making the wrong plays because I'm thinking I have to be too aggressive and play to a 6max system of betting and folding.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Did you ever wonder?

no offense but you should post this in BBV or psychology.

edit: fyi, every day.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Poker is hard, man. It's easy to become overconfident or discouraged based on short-term results.

It really isn't for everyone.

You do need to be aggressive, but not blindly aggressive. 6-max often calls for passive lines.

How long have you been playing? Perhaps you should step back to full ring for a while and build a solid foundation before you tackle the beast that is 6-max.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 PM

im a 2.5bb/100 winner at 5/10 and i feel like this every time i drop 100BB, which happens like 5 times a week
Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 PM

I didn't mean this game as "Poker." I meant this game as in "6max, ShortHanded." Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:28 PM

You just signed up a month ago. If you're smart enough to try and be good at this game then you are smart enough to eventually win at it. You may find your home at 3/6 or something much higher, but whereever you'll end up playing the most, you'll be glad that you took the time to learn the game and fight through this downswing.

Post more than you play,
give advice
compile useful threads
read and re-read SSHE and while you're doing that, link the chapters to specific threads

Patience is a rarer and more important skill than card reading or concept comprehension.

Not everyone is lucky enough to begin with an upswing. You're brand new. One of these days, you'll go on a heater and you'll think the exact opposite of what you think now. You'll think your a poker god to good for 2+2 and poker books.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How long have you been playing? Perhaps you should step back to full ring for a while and build a solid foundation before you tackle the beast that is 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been a short amount of time that I have been playing shorthanded. I would say 2 weeks or so. But I play a lot and constantly losing money at the cash tables is really starting to make me think about what I want out of Poker itself.

I need to do a little bit of soul-searching (as my Math professor would say).
Old 12-20-2005, 05:32 PM

The more you play, the more you will realise that the long term is a long long time. The more you read, the more you post, the more you will discover that to win in this game you have to lose.

If you continue to make correct decisions you will realise that even though you lost money from your bankroll you will actually have gained from the hand due to your correct decisions.

The more you post the more your skill in decision making is increased and the lower your variance.

Happy pokering.

True