Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Bluffing the other draw when mine doesn\'t hit

I haven't posted a hand in a while so here's one that might be standard and boring. All my hands are pretty standard and boring so whatever.

Live 2/5 at Foxwoods ($300-$500 buyin). Everybody and their brother stood up half an hour ago to go eat dinner so we're playing 4-handed. In general, other players have recognized the need to loosen up preflop due to the short game but they're folding too much postflop. Effective stacks $600.

Villain makes it $20 UTG, button calls, SB calls, I call in the BB with T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($80)

SB checks, I check, UTG bets $40, button folds, SB folds, I call.

UTG has been pretty aggressive since we got short but I think he's been catching cards (tough to say as not much has gone to showdown). This 1/2 pot bet is automatic if he has any piece of the board at all but he'd probably check something like 88 or 77 with 4 people in. He hasn't shown down any aggressively played draws but that doesn't mean he hasn't been semibluffing.

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($160)

I check, he bets $100, I call.

I'm almost positive he has at least a king here. I think he'd take the free card on a diamond draw and would bet more on either the flop or turn (or both) if he flopped the nuts.

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($360)

I bet $250.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Bluffing the other draw when mine doesn\'t hit

I think this is all about your image and how you've been playing draws. Do you typically make a call with a flush draw only getting 2.6-1 on the turn here? If you are representing the str8 draw as well, then I think it also depends on how you've been playing superdraws. (If you've been aggressive with them, I'm not sure you line here has sold your hand as a superdraw)

Also, have you seen him make big calls?

FWIW, I think this is pretty interesting...
Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 AM

I almost never check/call flush draws because they have little to no implied odds. However, lots of players would do exactly what I did with a diamond draw (i.e. chase at bad odds OOP, then come out betting whent hey hit) so I expect to have some credibility here. I had shown down very little the entire session (probably 3-4 hands max in the 3 hours I'd played with this player, including the full ring stuff). I showed a semibluff raise to the table a couple orbits ago (I had an OESD on the button against a LAG) but have been either winning pots with raises earlier in the hand or folding prior to the showdown (or mucking at showdown).
Old 12-12-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost never check/call flush draws because they have little to no implied odds. However, lots of players would do exactly what I did with a diamond draw (i.e. chase at bad odds OOP, then come out betting whent hey hit) so I expect to have some credibility here. I had shown down very little the entire session (probably 3-4 hands max in the 3 hours I'd played with this player, including the full ring stuff). I showed a semibluff raise to the table a couple orbits ago (I had an OESD on the button against a LAG) but have been either winning pots with raises earlier in the hand or folding prior to the showdown (or mucking at showdown).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this looks Ok as long as he's able to lay something as big as 2 pair down. I think your folding equity here is quite good.

Be sure to post results later...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Hmm, I'd fold the flop...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 PM

I fold both pre-flop and on the flop.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Preflop is definitely worth calling. Three people in already with good relative position and a decent hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 PM

Good relative position? Hes 2nd to act on all streets.

Good hand?

I like it multiway in position in unraised pots, I don't think this is much of a great spot to be playing T8s in. Although I can only imagine how bad these players are, so it was probably correct to call, under normal conditions, I'd fold.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 PM

I mean relative position to the raiser, meaning he is effectively last to act on the flop. Obviously not as good as the real thing, but at least something.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean relative position to the raiser, meaning he is effectively last to act on the flop. Obviously not as good as the real thing, but at least something.

[/ QUOTE ]

whaaa...

pfr (UTG) has position on Hero here... or am I missing something [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]