Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Very taboo. What do I do?

For what it's worth, James McManus in Positively Fifth Street mentions someone doing the same in one of the 2003 (?) WSOP tournaments. It was viewed as a serious breach of both etiquette and rules, and I got the impression the Horseshoe dealers and management took it seriously and didn't let it happen again.

It's not worth killing the atmosphere of a good game, but I would certainly point it out publicly to the dealer, then quietly mention it to the floor if the dealer failed to do his or her job (as seems to be the case).
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, James McManus in Positively Fifth Street mentions someone doing the same in one of the 2003 (?) WSOP tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Annie Duke, as a matter of fact.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tool Tactic #1 be an ass and only show one card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it wrong to show one card after someone folds to a bet? Typically, someone shows that they had top pair. Many folders see this as a favor -- proving that they made the right decision. Giving partial information often keeps the table friendly while also helping the player showing his card by earning him respect in later hands.

SB, Why don't you explain yourself?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:40 PM

I thought it was Annie, but then I figured my memory might just be automatically linking her with something so brazen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course Annie's memorable TV hand with Phil Hellmuth (what was that, anyway? I forget) where she showed only the bottom of her two pair would be less dramatic had Phil just reached his hand into the muck and looked at her other card. I generally adore and admire Annie, but jeez... even Hellmuth doesn't stoop that low.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer did the correct thing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider this hypothetical brick-and-mortar sequence:

<ul type="square">[*]AKQJ10 shows down A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], stating, "I have the nuts."
[*]Opponent mucks hand.
[*]AKQJ10 reaches into the middle of the table, pulls the pot to him, and starts stacking.
[*]Dealer says, "Post your blinds please" and deals the next hand.[/list]
Am I entitled to the pot? Is the dealer acting responsibly to let me pull it?

Also I missed whether the OP mentioned the house rules there, but keep in mind that house rules in Tunica don't necessary apply in every room. I've never known Foxwoods to enforce showing both cards, and I don't even understand the rationale for such a rule.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a radical idea, don't be a tool. Show the hand or muck the hand. Only an ass shows one card.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are so wrong here it's not even funny. This is done all the time at mid and high limits B&amp;M and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

GoT
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is done all the time at mid and high limits B&amp;M

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of clowns play mid and high limit B&amp;M.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're calling somebody a tool? I hope that's not your picture. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

It is absolutely my picture and this reply confirms that my read on you is correct.

Tool Tactic #1 be an ass and only show one card.
Tool Tactic #2 when WRONG make a personal attack against the other party.

Yes, I know they show one card on TV but that doesn't make it good manners. I bet you have sunglasses and a hoodie and your next post will probably mention my weight or that I wear eyeglasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't think you've confirmed why showing one card is being a 'tool'...many people see it as a courtesy to be shown that they were not bluffed out of the hand (as the OP had top pair). Since this was 5/10, I doubt opponent was folding an ace if they had one, making OP's hand good. If anything, he's doing him the courtesy of showing opponent that he made the right play, which can be used later when you want to take a pot from him (or anyone else) once you've established a tight reputation. Nothing done here makes the original poster a tool.

You clearly need to play more live poker if this is your reaction to someone showing top pair after a no-call. Either that, or take the stick out of your ass. Nit.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nit.

[/ QUOTE ]