Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Best politically fueled music-current

I was watching Conan the other night and Neil Young was on (if you didn't see it, it was great). Anyway, it got me thinking about older music that used to be very politically driven and wondering if anything was being made currently that would be equivalent. Since Rage is no longer making music I can't really think of any. I'm sure there is some out there, but I'm either unaware or oblivious. So, what's out there?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Best politically fueled music-current

SOAD --Great stuff
Old 11-10-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SOAD --Great stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously. I'm a moron for forgeting about them.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:53 PM

The new Green Day is pretty straightforward in it's stance on the war and our current political leader. Plus it's a wonderful album.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The new Green Day is pretty straightforward in it's stance on the war and our current political leader. Plus it's a wonderful album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should this be in politics? Since I hate political motivated-anything, and also hate green day, I would have to say, seeing that one video they have out now, I had no idea where they stood on the war? It was just a bunch of fight scenes, set to bad music? Are there other songs a little more straight-forward? What is thier stance, I couldnt garner it from the vid?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Wow. You should take a political science class or something.

Green Day is against the war and does not like George W. Bush. I'm not wild about Green Day, but how could you miss this?

What did you think Kanye West meant when he said "George Bush doesn't care about black people?"

As for the OP, if hip-hop is your thing, I would check out Dead Prez. Lets Get Free is a great album.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Green Day is against the war and does not like George W. Bush. I'm not wild about Green Day, but how could you miss this?

What did you think Kanye West meant when he said "George Bush doesn't care about black people?"

As for the OP, if hip-hop is your thing, I would check out Dead Prez. Lets Get Free is a great album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm...Kayne West obviously let it known his views on the president, on a national forum. He did so very explicitly. I watched green days video on tv, havent heard much from them in the national media since I was in 8th grade. The lyrics didnt really have much to do with what was going on in the video, although I wasnt paying all that much attention. The video just depicted what looked like scenes from a normal war movie. It was very vauge. If your view of political science comes from rock/hip-hop stars/ and actors, then maybe you should be the one taking a class.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: Dead Prez hates white people. Regardless, I don't mind their music.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I hate political motivated-anything,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you even in this thread let alone arguing me. Unless you really dislike greenday that much. If you're not looking for it then yes the video is just war scenes over depressing post punk noise (whether or not that is good music is personal oppinion). And as far as that video even the director agrees it's just emotional and meant to show that war is bad ( As can be read in this article )

But as far as being blatant about how they feel about Bush just look at the lyrics from "Holiday"
Zieg Heil to the president gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government
Bang bang goes the broken glass and
Kill all the fags that don't agree
Old 11-10-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: Dead Prez hates white people. Regardless, I don't mind their music.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of great political hip-hop has attitudes towards whites that range from ambivalence to outright hostility... what is amusing is that a decent portion of those 'conscious' rappers sell more records in the suburbs than the hood.

Not sure if I would consider Dead Prez 'great' but I think they've got their moments and they certainly fit this bill (although they try their damnedest to sell otherwise).

For good political rap, other than the obvious ones I'd say check out The Coup. "Genocide and Juice" is a good start.

NT