Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Default $22...this AQs flop looked deceptively pretty...

First off, i'm pretty embarrassed about the line i took here. My hand was good, but i suspect this is a hand i should have dropped, and was just lucky this time. "Warts and all", heres the hand: (sorry i cant find the HH)

Early game, lets say 10 handed, everyone t800

Hero in EP (this is important)...dealt AQs, limps
Bunch of limpers or whatever, then CO/button goes 4BB. Hero calls (im not even sure i like this call, i HATE oop)

I dont think anyone else called.

Flop: AJT (hero TP, ok kick, gutshot, flop rainbow)

Hero checks (this i hate, doh). I think i could get away from the hand alot easier if i lead out. I usually do, not sure why i didnt here.

Villain 1/2 pots it. Hero tanks. Comes damn close to mucking. Eventaully, i call.

Turn: x check/check
River: x check/check

Pot slides to hero, who checks HH and sees he was facing KJo (!)

So heres what im thinking...That flop (AJT) is bad bad bad for me. Yes/no?

It looked pretty, but while i was tanking, i was thinking about all the hands that beat me...AK, AJ, AT, KQ, JT, not to mention AA, JJ, TT.

And the hands i am ahead of...the only *realistic* hands are PP <TT...and they dont pay me off.The only reason i called was that it was a $22...so its concievable that dude made 4BB donk raise behind limpers with <AT, <KQ. Even still, those hands arent likely. I was just lucky this guy is moeran.

Sorry that got a little rambly...i guess my question is:

Having taken the line i did (limp/call, limp...) is continuing with the hand upon his flop bet -EV? Badly -EV?

I gave my resons for hating this hand, but im not 100% sure im thinking clearly here, so please correct any/all of my assumptions.

Oh, also, once i decide i will continue, would you guys prefer pushing back over calling? Checkaise seems to me like one of those bets that i feel like a fish when im called.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: $22...this AQs flop looked deceptively pretty...

I actually like your line on this hand. As you mentioned, this is actually a deceptively ugly flop for you. The best hand you can hope the villian has would be Ax with x < or = 9. I would not want to be checkraising at this level as you may give someone with a hand worse than yours (a worse A) a chance to scare you off of it. Just be glad he decided not to test you out on the later streets.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:41 PM

I like your play here. AQ is rough out of position, but I think your hand was good enough to call the flop bet. I would have folded to a decent sized bet on the turn, though.

I think the check was a good move, although I can see betting out 2/3 of the pot on the flop. I suppose it just depends on your style.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:31 PM

i'm bumping this, in the hopes that someone takes the "you should have mucked" line. I really feel like i should have folded, is it possible that i made the RIGHT play by screwing up? That would be both funny and demoralizing.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:35 PM

Depending on how many limpers there were preflop, I would have mucked to the raise. But it sounds like there were enough limpers already to justify the preflop limp.

The more I think about it, I think that I would have bet out about 2/3 of the pot on the flop, just so that he would have to react to you. If he would have called, then I would be in check/fold mode the rest of the hand.

I think you were right to play very cautiously as you did, and I definitely would have mucked if there were any more action than there was.

I'm curious to see what others think as well. I'm sure having my opinion twice doesn't help much...
Old 10-15-2005, 01:22 AM

you were passive before the flop and i believe playing passively after the flop is the best line. if the guy puts you to a decision for all your chips or starts betting a lot bigger on the turn or river its time to get out. im willing to call value bets, but nothing huge.