Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Poker DVD\'s : Any of them worth much?

Any of these any good? (caro/helmuth or howards?).

I have read plenty of poker books, this site and cardplayer, but wonder if any of these could help my game any.

Espicially the tells portion.... believe it or not, I learned something on Bravo watching them point out tells...
Even made a 600$ laydown because of one, which they showed...

thanks
-VI
Old 09-29-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Poker DVD\'s : Any of them worth much?

I watched Howard's video this weekend. A friend of mine found it in a discount bin for $2.50, gave it to me for my birthday. It was worth $2.50 if you can find it, but not the $29.95. It is for total newbies. I did enjoy the art's and crafts section where Howard showed you how to create a cut card by taping 2 jokers together.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Mason said the next DVD is pretty good

for what it gives you. Search this forum for his review- he gave the second DVD a 9, if memory serves
Old 09-29-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Mason said the next DVD is pretty good

Lederer's 2nd DVD is 100x better than the first!! Has anyone seen his DVD for Online poker?

Jonny
Old 09-29-2004, 03:56 PM

The <font color="blue"> Lederer </font> DVD's are much better than the <font color="brown"> Hellmuth </font>.
I've got <font color="blue"> Howard's </font>1st 2 and 4 of<font color="brown"> Phil's. </font>
The first <font color="blue"> HL </font> DVD is really for the beginner/novice. It does an excellent job of laying out the game and giving advice about preflop play. Also, the "how to" for running Home Tournaments is good. There were quite a few things we picked up there to run ours more smoothly.
A very good intro, especially if you have trouble finding the time to read.

The second <font color="blue"> HL </font> "More Secrets of NLHM" is more advanced and covers post flop play, position, bluffs, marginal hands and more tells. A good viewing for the novice/intermediate player.

<font color="brown"> Phil's </font> 4 dvd's could be one. The material is light and really just covers the first few chapters in his book. He's basically just advocating the use of his 'Top Ten Hands' system which I think makes for a tight-weak player. I should know. His was one of the first books I read and that's what I turned into. I crawled out of that style finally but it cost me. His system only works when everyone is playing by the book. MHO. The whole set is just a cursory glimpse at hold'em and I found no real value.

The <font color="red"> Caro </font> Seminar and Tells are ok. When I first got them, they were too advanced for me but I've gone back and picked up some subtle things I hope to use in 'live' play. Overall, I think they're worth my money.

Longwinded enough? Except for <font color="red"> Caro </font> , the others are for more beginner/novice players and <font color="blue"> Howard's </font> make <font color="brown"> Phil's </font> look silly.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:16 PM

Default \"and Howard\'s make Phil\'s look silly.\"

[i] THERE'S a surprise...
Old 09-29-2004, 06:03 PM

I watched both of Howard's when I was starting out. Now, as an advanced beginner, I still get things from the second DVD, and say it's worth a viewing. I recommend taking a pass on the first if you have been playing two or more months.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:28 PM

Thanks Decon... That is what I needed to know.

I need to see the tells.... not the theory of everything else.

With the guy leaning back in his chair tell, I saved 600 bucks the other night and now want to try and watch that a little more.

-VI