Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Gazes Call with AK after 2 all ins 4 handed

Here's the payout:
1st place $611,145
2nd place - $329,975
3rd place - $202,790
4th place - $175,010

Here are the approximate chip stacks before the hand.
Mark Seif $1,750,000
Gazes $450,000
Nguyen $400,000
Kang $400,000

This information was pieced together from the Cardplayer live updates section.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:47 AM

A fine call. If he loses the hand he will almost certainly finish 3rd(which he did). If he folds he is way behind in 3rd. If he wins he is not only second, but in decent shape against the chip leader.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM

So for those that say fine call. What is your calling range?

Remember that Gazes made a comment that Nguyen was moving in a lot and Nguyen was the first one who went all in.

I think I am only calling with AK, KK, or AA. Anyone disagree?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:01 PM

I call with Q-Q, A-A, K-K, and A-K

I still think calling is the best play too.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:17 PM

I've been hopping around forums today specifically looking for this discussion because I liked the call and figured there'd be a lot of people that didn't.

The Live update log from card player.

As I said in total bluff's thread:

Yeah most of the time he was going to be slllllliiiiiigttllllyyyyy under 2:1, there's going to be a small % were you are screwed vs AA or KK.

So here's the thing. You have a 3X% chance of winning a huge pot and being heads up with a stack you can contend with. so from there lets just say he's even money vs Sief.

15% of taking a bracelet by calling.

So, if you lay that down, Mihn doubles up, now you have to mess with both mihn and seif with larger stacks than you. I think his chances of winning a bracelet by laying down AK and taking a chance vs seif and mihn there are going to be less than 15%.

Now on the flip side if I was Phil Ivey in that spot and against 3 other goobers I'd lay it down probably (depending on M and when the next level is coming). Even with the blinds escalating phil Ivey would have more than a 15% chance of winning a bracelet at that point. However, Seif is dangerous with a big stack and Mihn, again, is one of the best.

Personally, I would take my 15% and be really happy.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hated that call, I think it was a terrible play. One of the other two easily could have had kings or aces and then he's dominated. As it was he had a coin flip which he lost and crippled him. For a player of his experience that should have been an auto-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Are you for real? No it would not be 'easy' for one of them to have AA or KK. And how it is bad to take a coin flip when you're tripling up if you win?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:52 PM

I think this is what Minh is thinking, which sounds like the standard play:
"A champion knows something that the average person doesn’t. He knows that a favorable situation will come up for him soon enough and he knows when he is in that situation. Of course, when player 1 raises, player 2 moves all-in and then player 3 calls, it is time for everyone to throw away their A-K, whether they are average, bad or a champion player!"
-Phil Hellmuth
It's a debatable topic whether the so-called standard play is indeed correct, but I think this line of thinking is what inspired Minh's reaction.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a debatable topic whether the so-called standard play is indeed correct, but I think this line of thinking is what inspired Minh's reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

What inspired minhs reaction was he was racing for elimination. Of course hellmuth would lay this down and brag about how only 1 person in the world could have made that laydown....then wonder why he's constantly being bullied.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:08 PM

He was playing for the bracelet, so for him that was the only move. My take is that the #1 calling criteria was getting heads up with enough money to play Seif. As he said in his post game interview, he would have surely won if he hit his hand. I think that was the predominant thought on his mind in a situation where he could have gone either way, depending on his priorities.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:29 PM

If the TT guy had won the hand then I think the JJ guy (minh) would have stil had chips left so Gazes could STILL have finished in 4th place couldn't he?