Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Proof that I need a long break?

[ QUOTE ]
I love 2 + 2 posters, they're almost as brutally honest as your name is

[/ QUOTE ]
5K HU Freezeout? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

(I love them, too.)

Edit:
[ QUOTE ]

(which is exactly what happened)

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh...no.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(I love them, too.)

Edit:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh...no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how your only rebuttle has NOTHING to do with my advice/comments. Yeah you're a big shot because you can challenge someone you know won't play you in a 5k heads up game

How about this lets fight in real life dude? you fly out we'll fight for 1,000$.

seriously what are you doing with your life, you're in the small stakes forum challenging people to high stakes games while everyone laughs at how badly you play.

at least by responding to me your post count went up though, now you have e-respect even if you seem to be clueless [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, preflop I can definitely raise bigger but I can't see how it is SUCH a big deal whether it is 3bb or 5bb. The implied odds are there for implied odds hands either way. Maybe 5bb is a bit more profitable, but it's not like 3bb will make AA a loser here.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the point of view of someone making a decision about getting in the pot with a junk hand (like the T7) it makes a difference. Grandted you typically want peoople calling you with junk hands but you also want to make them pay as much as possible for the privledge of a flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop, however, I might have turned it into a huge loser. But I can't believe the lack of hand reading in a lot of these posts. If MP doesn't have a flush draw most of the time here, I'm amazed. And BB can have one pair a lot of the time. Or a draw. It HAS to be too weak to fold to a minraise here. And once BB checks the turn, I think there is about a zero percent chance that he has me beat. He has top pair here 99% of the time at least. So if I'm beat, I am pretty sure that it is by a set from MP. That's the only thing that makes sense given the flop action. What besides a set and a flush draw cold call the flop raise? And a set is going to re-raise a fair amount of the time so you have to discount it a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The board makes it really hard to say what your opponents are holding in this hand. Lets suppose that MP (JT or J8) had two pair. Would he be very excited about his hand on the turn out of position relative to the pf raiser - I suspect not. Given that it is a raised pot, the flop was raised and called around, and there is the board is one card short of a st8 he would probably check. Its not clear to me that a good player here would be very excited about a set in MP.

The point is that the flop and turn are a potential conceren for all players with a made hand short of the nuts (not justs you). Additionally, someone who made a str8 on the flop or turn may just decide to slowplay (I wouldn't but people do). The combination of both of these possiblities makes it very difficult to determine whether you are way behind (being slowplayed by a str8), behind to hand that you might be able make fold (j8 for instance), or are ahead (JQ or flush and flush draw).

Passion
Old 08-15-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(I love them, too.)

Edit:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh...no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how your only rebuttle has NOTHING to do with my advice/comments. Yeah you're a big shot because you can challenge someone you know won't play you in a 5k heads up game

How about this lets fight in real life dude? you fly out we'll fight for 1,000$.

seriously what are you doing with your life, you're in the small stakes forum challenging people to high stakes games while everyone laughs at how badly you play.

at least by responding to me your post count went up though, now you have e-respect even if you seem to be clueless [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I hope this guy is joking. I'm quite certain TWP was just kidding...I hope.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, preflop I can definitely raise bigger but I can't see how it is SUCH a big deal whether it is 3bb or 5bb. The implied odds are there for implied odds hands either way. Maybe 5bb is a bit more profitable, but it's not like 3bb will make AA a loser here.

Postflop, however, I might have turned it into a huge loser. But I can't believe the lack of hand reading in a lot of these posts. If MP doesn't have a flush draw most of the time here, I'm amazed. And BB can have one pair a lot of the time. Or a draw. It HAS to be too weak to fold to a minraise here. And once BB checks the turn, I think there is about a zero percent chance that he has me beat. He has top pair here 99% of the time at least. So if I'm beat, I am pretty sure that it is by a set from MP. That's the only thing that makes sense given the flop action. What besides a set and a flush draw cold call the flop raise? And a set is going to re-raise a fair amount of the time so you have to discount it a bit.

Have I gone completely mad, or does this make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are way off here. Couple of points:

The difference between the 3bb preflop and the 5, is that yeah, they'll probably call the 5...but you are getting more money in the pot while you are ahead...both are ev, but the one where you get $5 from each of them preflop must be better than getting $3.

As for hand reading....MP's flat call of a bet and a raise, then a bet on the turn SCREAMS of a guy that flopped the straight. I don't think you are ahead of the BB anywhere near 99% of the time in this example either. If he had two pair, 4 to the straight on the board would make him slow down too. I would estimate you are ahead of Bb significantly less than 99% of the time...I would think its somewhere around a coin flip barring a read that the guy is over-aggro and will play a crappy top pair agressively.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:32 PM

he probably wasn't 'joking', he just knows he can act like a big shot here and never have to live up to any of what he says.

I'm not ACTUALLY challenging someone on the internet to a fight, I'm just making fun of him for coming to a small stakes forum and asking random people for a 5k freezout as if it'd actually happen.

I can see why he did it though, all the other posters are just crapping all over this hand and he feels the need to call someone out for a lil' 5k freezout...perfectly normal [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 03:37 PM

The hand ranges on this hand would include anything the MP or BB would limp with that hits the flop.
A10 spades, Ax of spades, J10, J8, AJ, KJ, QJ, 88, 99, 107s, J7s, KQ, 89s, or any 2 spades. Without really know the players I would guess the BB for a missed draw, and the MP for a made straight (at least a two pair).

Personally, there are not very many hands I fold from the BB here, I not going to let you steal my blind very often for that amount of a raise. I fold the complete trash hands, but I am playing most connecting or decent suited hands. From MP's perspective, if my hand is good enough to limp, it is good enough to call your 2.5 BB raise, so his range would be anything he would limp with.

I agree with you that it is not that big of mistake preflop, but post flop you need to treat the hand like you limped (almost more cautiously because they are re-raising and calling you after you raised p/f).
Old 08-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Anytime someone's play is called into question one of the default responses is a HU challenge. You should know this Rosie. It is really very normal and nothing to make fun of. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Passion
Old 08-15-2005, 03:40 PM

Whoa, dude. I thought you were joking around when you said my name was brutally honest, but apparently you really think so. In any case, I was just joking back. Don't know if you ever read the mid/high fixed limit board (and occasionally on the no limit board too), but they are always challenging each other to freezeouts when people say that someone else sucks. I was serious about loving the posters on this board, though. But I think you should chill out a bit. I knew that this hand was very questionable, despite the fact that BB called my with J3 and MP folded what must have been a flush draw and I pulled a massive pot. That's why I posted it.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he probably wasn't 'joking', he just knows he can act like a big shot here and never have to live up to any of what he says.

I'm not ACTUALLY challenging someone on the internet to a fight, I'm just making fun of him for coming to a small stakes forum and asking random people for a 5k freezout as if it'd actually happen.

I can see why he did it though, all the other posters are just crapping all over this hand and he feels the need to call someone out for a lil' 5k freezout...perfectly normal [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You calling him out on the HU 5K freezout challege here is akin to someone pointing out that a poster spelled 'moran' wrong.

TWP is a comedian in his spare time.