Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Ciaffone Books

I just purchased "PL & NL Poker" and "Improve Your Poker", based off of recommendations both here and from Amazon.

How come these books are not sold in stores, and receive nearly no major attention?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Ciaffone Books

Ciaffone hasn't been able to get his books picked up by a major publisher. I think he prints them out of his house. Most likely, it's because he hasn't won any major NLHE tournaments (he is primarily a pot-limit omaha player), so does not have the celebrity to sell books like Hellmuth and Brunson.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:19 AM

I would assume becuase they are self-published.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:03 AM

I think Mason gave the pot and NL book 9/10. Its good. Imrpove your poker is also really good. I also like Middle limit holdem, but agree with most others that in some of the handexamples they play a bit weak.

You can find the books on the net, on his homepage (and get a signed copy) and other places.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:23 PM

I agree with what the previous posters have said. But I also think that they're not as "main stream" because Ciaffone is not as "main stream." By that I mean, if you ask the average poker player who Bob Ciaffone is, he'll probably say "I donno," because you never see Ciaffone in any of the major tournaments on television.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:28 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
I think Mason gave the pot and NL book 9/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Mason gave PL&amp;NL Poker 10/10.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:57 PM

You barely ever see any of the 2+2 authors on TV at the major tournamnets, so not that great of a point. Even dan harrington, many "main stream" people dont know him, because he's not flashy and making crazy bluffs. The "main stream" people believe that Chris Moneymaker and Greg Raymer are the best poker players.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:51 AM

Hes well known to experienced players. He placed 3rd in the wSOP the year Johnny Chang won, in fact at one point he was in the lead. his starting requirements are a bit conservative and his books are tough to go through. That being said they are well written and give a lot of info.
His books are well worth reading. Its great that new players do not know him too well. Middle limit HE is a great book with a lot of examples.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just purchased "PL &amp; NL Poker".

How come these books receive nearly no major attention?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's keep her that way. IMO, PL &amp; NL Poker is a classic, one of those you read and re-read as you learn to play PL and NL. Teaches what to think about.

I will say Ciaffone is a little tight in the Hold'em chapters compared to Super System. The main reason is that SuperSystem deals with DEEP stacks, whereas Ciaffone addresses the more normal games where people buy in for 75-100 x BB. Contrast Ed Miller's Ultra-tight short stacked NL strategy.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:40 AM

I am almost finished with my first read of "Improve Your Poker" and it is well worth the money.