Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 08:52 AM

Default does anyone prefer online tournaments over live?

does anyone prefer online tournaments over live? i live in north jersey and have the borgata poker open and us poker championships coming next month. i'm not a big time player but i was debating doing more wcoop events instead of the smaller live events in atlantic city. they both have 30 minute blind increases but online i'll see more hands and be home. what are your preferences?

ps, nothing beats live cash game play
Old 08-29-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: does anyone prefer online tournaments over live?

I play full time mostly online MTTs, but I am also not a big time player. So far I am negative in live tournaments. I really enjoy live tournaments. I can make some money against bad players in live 1/2NL, 2/5NL, or 10/20, but I am not good at cash games and don't enjoy them much.

I think my live tournament results are due to inexperience and variance. The live daily tournaments with 80-300 players, usually have like 40% of the pool for 1st place. Short stacked push/fold is a strong point of my game, but there is an awful lot of chence involved in these "crap shoots". Of course, you can't reduce variance by multitabling.

I have been trying somewhat to win entries in major tournaments with a lot of online qualifiers, since they may not be that tough these days and I might do better with the slower structure and early deep stack play.

I will probably play in some side events with the tour coming to town with Foxwoods, Taj, and Borgata major tournaments. I have also accumulated some W$s in the supersatellite and will play in some WCOOP events also. Maybe the solution to you dilemma is to play in a little of both.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 AM

online >>>>>>> cash
Old 08-29-2005, 02:18 PM

It's always a riot to play live tournaments. The characters alone makes it worth the down sides.

Which are substantial ... in addition to increased rake and tipping I hate being at the mercy of bored, inexperienced and incompetent dealers and over-worked floor staff. And I give off tells.

Maybe the most important up-side for me: Because I play so few live tourneys relative to online my focus is much better and my disciplin impeccable live.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 08-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Live tournaments are definitely more fun, but perhaps that's because they are a "treat" for me. I've probably played a total of 10 live B+M tournaments, as opposed to god-knows-how-many online, so I guess it's just good to get out there and mix it up a little, ya know?

Online is certainly more convenient though.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
online >>>>>>> cash

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, meant online > live.

play is faster, no commute, no worries about giving tells, more games available, lower rake, etc.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:30 PM

All great benefits to online mtts. Live has people (which I like better than sitting at home all asocially) and if you pay attention (inexperienced ones anyway) give off a lot of information about their hands. Despite my lack of live experience, I found applying Caro's Book of Poker Tells and some common sense was very effective.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps, nothing beats live cash game play

[/ QUOTE ]
You enjoy sitting on your ass till it gets numb to win a single BB?

I do too.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you pay attention (inexperienced ones anyway) give off a lot of information about their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very, very true.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my focus is much better and my disciplin impeccable live.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% true for me as well. If I could combine my live discipline with the up-sides of online tourneys, I would be a force to be reckoned with. As it is, I'm just a force not really worth reckoning with at all.