Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Not your traditional \"how to play AA\" post

I was wondering what people thought about the best way to get the most chips out of Villian in this spot. I don't have any particularly strong reads, but Villian seems like a fairly solid TAG.

Fulltilt doesn't work with the converter, so here is the hand:

Middle of a $10 MTT tourney, 251 to start, blinds are at 100/200 with no ante yet.

Villian(12,130) raises UTG to 700
1 fold
Hero(7,880) calls 700 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
All else fold

[I flat called here for a specific reason. I knew that Villian had a hand and would call a small RR, but he would lay down to a big RR w/o a big hand. Several players at the table smooth called raises in the past, especially after 1 cold-caller. A couple even put in small RR's with big ace's and somewhat marginal pairs. So I flat called; too bad no one else got involved]

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot=1,700)

Villian checks

[So here were my feelings - I knew that at least 90% he has a big ace, but he may have checked KK w/ the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or maybe 99, but that's a longshot since he checked. He is folding EVERYTHING to a bet unless he has exactly AxK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I figured there is very little chance that he will put in any chips right now.]

Hero checks behind

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot=1,700)

Villian bets 600
Hero???

[OK, so now he put money in. He is usually bluffing here, in which case there is no more money to be made. Sometimes he has AxK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or KxK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in which case he will call a small raise. Very rarely do I think I'm behind here.]

Hero raises it to 1,800 total

What do you guys think? Is there a better way to get more money out of Villian when he is behind?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Not your traditional \"how to play AA\" post

PRE_FLOP: Call looks OK to me. He raised enough to keep the field thin, and based on your read (and your hand), I put him on a range of KK-99, AK, AQ.

FLOP: I don't have a big problem with the flop check heads up holding the A of spades, though you gotta be careful with any 6,T,J,Q, or K on the turn.

TURN: You're way ahead. He wouldn't bet 99 here.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think? Is there a better way to get more money out of Villian when he is behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way for villain to be holding K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 77 or 99 here? Looking for the check raise on the turn? Value betting on the river?

I probably would have considered betting the turn, big enough for him to make a mistake and call if behind, but small enough to get away from if he comes way over the top.

I don't see any value for river raise. Villain is unlikely to call if beaten, and likely to reraise if ahead.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

TURN: You're way ahead. He wouldn't bet 99 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding?

You're almost definitely way ahead, but of course he'd bet the turn with 99. And the flop. And every other street possible. What, he's going to let a spade get a free card?

[ QUOTE ]
I probably would have considered betting the turn, big enough for him to make a mistake and call if behind, but small enough to get away from if he comes way over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding, too? You're not folding the turn after playing this hand this way. Ever. Under any circumstances.

---

Given the situation and your read, I would probably call the turn and hope a K of clubs hit the river.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:21 AM

bet the flop for like 900 at least ....youre not afraid of many cards on the turn, but the reason for betting the flop is this....

you can get more chips in later!! its a novel concept, but betting more on earlier streets (or betting at all) = bigger pots for later streets. if villain doesnt have anything, hes not going to call when you suddenly "wake up" later on unless he has you crushed
Old 12-23-2005, 01:27 AM

OK, so you say just call the turn. Why?

My feelings were that the odds that he holds AK w/o a spade and a K falls paled in comparison to the odds that he had some kind of big ace or over pair w/ a spade (in which case he calls a small raise on the turn).

He may even check-fold w/ AK if a K falls on the river, unless I bet some rediculously low amount. (think about it from his end - what am I betting that he beats considering the board and my TAG reputation).
Old 12-23-2005, 01:30 AM

OK, well I did consider this but I figured that there was a real decent chance that he would make some sort of bluff attempt on the turn if a non-spade hit OR he gets a free card with the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], a spade hits, I double up.

Rememeber, I really can't put him on any hand that he checks this flop AND calls any bet except maybe KxK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Even AxK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I think is betting here...
Old 12-23-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No way for villain to be holding K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 77 or 99 here?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, he may not open UTG w/ KQs since he is pretty tight. Second, the odds that he opens w/ KQs AND flops a flush - no slim that I'm not even considering it.

77? Small chance since he's tight but possible. 99? Maybe, but he's probably betting the flop so he doesn't gave me a free card in case I have a spade.

I think I can safely play this hand assuming I'm way ahead and he either has crap, or a draw to the loosing flush.