Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Free showdown

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Anybody folding this flop ?
Is this a good situation to raise for a free showdown ?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Free showdown

I think if you're going to raise for a free showdown, you should probably fold when BB 3-bets.

The showdown raise itself seems okay to me, but I'd be more optimistic about it if BB weren't leading again into two people who called him on the flop. Also, I have some doubts about getting BB to fold anything you'd like him to, so that potential advantage of the raise doesn't seem to be a big factor here.

It is a good raise if BB has a flush draw (or OESD) and will give up and check-fold the river if he misses, though.

Edit: Also, in the unlikely event that he's on a pure bluff with a hand like JTo, he might fold to the turn raise, and you'd like for him to.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 AM

I don't like your play on the flop and turn.
Flop: this is raise or fold. I think fold is pretty weak when you don't really have too much reason to believe he has an A. Raise to find out where you are and if BB isn't an idiot and you have no reason to believe he'll 3bet with a flush draw, you can let the hand go if he 3bets.

Turn: No, this is not a good spot for raising for a free showdown. The idea of the free showdown is that you think there's a good enough chance you're ahead that you're willing to pay 2 more bets to see the showdown, but you also have a significant amount of outs if you're not good and you'd like to put in 3 total bets on the Turn and River if you hit the draw on the river.
Here, if you're behind, you have only 2 outs. So, most of the time putting in 2 bets on the turn is equivalent to putting in 1 on the turn and 1 on the river. Raising has an almost negligible advantage, but a definite disadvantage that he could 3bet you on the turn.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you're going to raise for a free showdown, you should probably fold when BB 3-bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think this is really implicit in the line. I like the raise too.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:54 AM

I'm assuming this is a straightforward 50/5 type player. What sort of aggression/trickery have you observed on the flop &amp; turn?

My Plan:
*I raise the flop, he calls with a weak ace (or reraises: may indicate two pair+ or AK-AJ or strong draw) From there it plays differently.

Given the action: I probably call down unimproved.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Yse this is a typical 50/5 type player. Not tricky

My thought process was:

1. If I raise the turn he might think I slowplayed a big ace and calls my raise and checks the river. So, I pay 2 BB to see the showdown. If he 3-bet the turn he has an ace or better,so I can release my hand right here. ( Dont know why I didn't )

2. If he is on a Flushdraw my raise will make him pay 2BB to see the turn card, which is good.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:27 AM

Just thinking here...see if this makes sense:

For point #1, I think he'd fold air and hang in there with a weak ace, or a seven. He'll probably reraise with that magical 4. This may be a case of "only bet/raise if you WANT to be called." Which is to say, you're hoping he'll call with air,or a seven, or a draw.

If you want to see the showdown, you can either pay 2BB by calling down, or by your method (which is not safe).

You can make him pay for betting a flush draw by raising the heads-up flop, since a flush draw by itself only has 35% equity.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 AM

You gotta fold to the 3-bet.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 AM

I'm grunching,

Free showdown? You just paid 1BB more for it and if you didn't get 3bet you'd of paid the same anyhow.

I dont like it, Either raise the flop assuming you're ahead or fold the turn assuming your behind...

But if you still think you're ahead cap the turn.

Basically i raise the flop, bet the turn, bet the river/Take free SD if checked too.

I don't like your line, and i ofen think we're behind.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM

I din't like the line you have taken here at all,
Either fold flop or raise,if you raise then, if 3 bet I would make a loose call, and fold turn unimproved,

With your line you have got to fold the turn once he has 3 bet you, otherwise your just spewing chips.

If you want to get to a cheap showdown, I think when you raise flop and are not 3 bet then you are given the opportunity to control the hand.