Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Has anyone here changed their opinion on God?

There appears to be two main camps on this forum - theists and non-theists. I am sure the are few agnostics for good measure. Has anyone on either side ever changed their views based on what has been presented in this forum?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Has anyone here changed their opinion on God?

I change my views about God all the time. I have certainly been influenced in one direction or another by the things people write here, usually away-from rather than towards, but nevertheless...
Of course-- I am in the gray middle ground of Christians often represented by RJT and PTB...we're all wishy/washy!

I would give examples but I am ready to go home. Another busy day at work reading this infuriating, fascinating Trainwreck!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I used to think god didn't exist. Now I know he doesn't.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:19 PM

ROFLMO
Old 10-03-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one to say that he KNOWS that God exist or does not exist is a statement of great ignorance. Especially when you say you KNOW that something does not exist.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one to say that he KNOWS that God exist or does not exist is a statement of great ignorance. Especially when you say you KNOW that something does not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does an infinitely large and wise multidimensional blueberry pancake -- which rides on the back of a finite purple unicorn -- control our every move?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does an infinitely large and wise multidimensional blueberry pancake -- which rides on the back of a finite purple unicorn -- control our every move?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I was going to respond to the OP above that being agnostic about every arbitrary claim (such as "god exists") leads to epistemological absurdities, but this post demonstrates that point in a much more efficient and amusing way.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM

I wouldn't say I've changed my opinion but I've definitely made some finer refinements on it and come up with more reasons to back my position. I doubt that many actual posters have had their minds changed much because most posters feel strongly one way or the other to begin with. They post because they feel strongly.

My guess is that there could be a silent minority of lurkers here who never thought very deeply about these things but now have been exposed to some new ideas and possibly shifted their thinking a little or a lot. The first reason they ever came to this site is probably because they are fans of Sklansky. They are fans of his poker thinking and therefore probably give his thoughts on religion a fair shake. Since most people are religious to begin with, I would guess that of the shifts that have occured because of these forums, the vast majority of those shifts have been away from unexamined religous beliefs toward more critically thoughtful questioning of popular beliefs, which I think is a great shift.

This may all be wishful thinking on my part though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I was going to respond to the OP above that being agnostic about every arbitrary claim (such as "god exists") leads to epistemological absurdities, but this post demonstrates that point in a much more efficient and amusing way.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres no epistemological absurdity with agnosticism. I believe that anything that isn't logically impossible could possibly be true.

There's no problem with that, in fact not believing it requires an absurd leap of faith.

chez
Old 10-03-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that anything that isn't logically impossible could possibly be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this platonist approach to logic.
So Logic is not just a context dependent tool then?
It exists as a thing in itself?
Is it perhaps a God?

If Christian then goto First Commandment.