Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 PM

Default 10/20 and Opening Up Preflop from UTG & UTG+1

I don't think I'm maximizing my bb/100 from UTG and UTG+1, so I'm going to loosen up a bit. Just wanted to know if these standards look ok/consistent (I know it depends on how I play but just any input would be nice and a yay/nay/meh would suffice but please be specific).

UTG: A7s+, AJo+, K9s+, KJo+, QTs+, JTs+, 66+

UTG+1: A4s+, ATo+, K9s+, KJo+, Q9s+, QJo, J9s+, 44+

BTW (if it makes a difference) my VPIPs in the blinds are (BB/27%, SB/32.5%) and and my current CO (vpip of 25%) and Button (vpip of 28%) openraising standards would pretty much stay the same.

Any general thoughts would be appreciated...

___1___
Old 09-25-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: 10/20 and Opening Up Preflop from UTG & UTG+1

I open some slightly weaker suited aces from utg fairly regularly (A6s most of the time, A5s sometimes). I also open ATo there. UTG+1 I open KTo and sometimes a9o
Old 09-25-2005, 09:26 PM

Meh on K9s UTG, and UTG+1, I think KTo > QJo.

Awhile back I dug through my PT stats and figured that while I was playing A8o UTG+1, it seemed to suck. Still do it, though. Brilliant, eh?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:02 PM

Hmm, I dont raise as small of suited aces, but I raise smaller offsuit aces. Always ATo and sometimes A9o utg. I also raise KTo and QTo UTG a good portion of the time and am def. raising KTo utg+1.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I dont raise as small of suited aces, but I raise smaller offsuit aces. Always ATo and sometimes A9o utg. I also raise KTo and QTo UTG a good portion of the time and am def. raising KTo utg+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff. This, Grisgra's, and Lmn's responses are what I was looking for. I suppose I'm at a decent starting point and need to figure out what marginal hands I can make profitable 4-tabling and what I can't (although I guess that's really impossible to measure considering Shania's effect on other hands as well). Thanks again...

___1___
Old 09-25-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm similar. A9o doesn't always happen (though ATo does); QTo usually doesn't happen; KTo sometimes does and sometimes doesn't (more often doesn't) but it does from UTG+1. I'm not real enamored of smaller suited aces UTG -- I don't raise A7s as a default, and I won't always play A8s -- lower aces are almost always mucked absent an extraordinary table situation. (All this assumes a 6-handed table).
Old 09-25-2005, 10:14 PM

You know I really don't know why people want to play terrible hands from EP in the 10/20 where 3-betting is common and imo it's unlikely the gap between your postflop skills and that of your oposition is great enough to compensate for being oop.

My 2c. I'm all for wild times in the CO and button, but adding crap hands from UTG it's just well it's crap. FWIW the hands you've got listed are all ok, for EP raises, but QTs, JTs, 66 K9s are all very player/table/image dependant. Also don't add KTo or QJo in UTG+1 those hands are just plain awful, i'm also wary of opening such low suited A, being suited doesn't add alot to your equity (though when the pot goes multiway they certainly are good). I also really don't know about opening 44+ in UTG+1, the number of times these pots are 3-4handed means these hands generally flop bottom pair and kind of suck postflop to play.

I like your adventuring but I consider adding too many hands in UTG and UTG+1 a mistake unless you really think you can make it work for your image.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:28 PM

ATo is beter than several of your UTG hands.

Studying your list it feels like you overestimate the value of being suited in shorthanded play compared to having big cards.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know I really don't know why people want to play terrible hands from EP in the 10/20 where 3-betting is common and imo it's unlikely the gap between your postflop skills and that of your oposition is great enough to compensate for being oop.

My 2c. I'm all for wild times in the CO and button, but adding crap hands from UTG it's just well it's crap. FWIW the hands you've got listed are all ok, for EP raises, but QTs, JTs, 66 K9s are all very player/table/image dependant. Also don't add KTo or QJo in UTG+1 those hands are just plain awful, i'm also wary of opening such low suited A, being suited doesn't add alot to your equity (though when the pot goes multiway they certainly are good). I also really don't know about opening 44+ in UTG+1, the number of times these pots are 3-4handed means these hands generally flop bottom pair and kind of suck postflop to play.

I like your adventuring but I consider adding too many hands in UTG and UTG+1 a mistake unless you really think you can make it work for your image.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real reason I feel I need to make a change is that there is just too big of a gap between my UTG+1 winrate and my Cutoff winrate. I just can't be playing enough hands early.

Position - VPIP - bb/100

UTG - 15.67- .07
UTG+1 - 17.95- .07
CO - 23.53- .12
Button - 27.87- .14

There's just no reason, except for not playing enough hands up front, there should be THAT big of a discrepancy in my EP and LP winrate. Agree?

___1___
Old 09-25-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ATo is beter than several of your UTG hands.

Studying your list it feels like you overestimate the value of being suited in shorthanded play compared to having big cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably fair. I just haven't experimented with playing higher suited connectors (QTs, J9s, etc.) UTG and up front a whole bunch, but have had mixed results with hands like ATo, KTo, etc.

___1___