Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Big blind special with a scary board

$10+1

arty Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter

SB (t861)
Hero (t685)
UTG (t3249)
MP (t880)
CO (t1765)
Button (t560)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, MP calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, UTG calls t150, MP folds, SB folds.

Turn: (t420) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (t420) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

UTG got to be chip leader when he got AA and KK back to back (hands # 3&amp;4) and was able to get someone all in. Since then he has been limping quite a bit and showing aggression on the river.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Big blind special with a scary board

I would say put out a small value bet and see what happens. You more than likely have the best hand. From my experience on Party the guy was prolly looking for another diamond or had like A6 or something like that. Just my $0.02 cents
Old 04-05-2005, 02:08 PM

Tough situation. I think the villian probably has a diamond and missed his hand. I think you should be willing to die with this hand. But how do you extract the most chips if you are ahead, or conversely save a few chips if you are dead?

I would check and call anything he bets, including an all-in. My reasoning is below:

If you have the villian beat:
He will probably fold to a value bet.
A check might induce a bluff (he is by far the chip leader).

If the villian has you beat:
He will probably put you all-in if you bet.
If you check, he may only value bet 100 or so chips to try to extract as much as possible.

BTW, I would have gone all-in on the turn. You had enough chips to make a pot sized bet
Old 04-05-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough situation. I think the villian probably has a diamond and missed his hand. I think you should be willing to die with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so excited about the strength of the hero's hand. An earlier poster commented that he thinks A6 is possible here. How about 65, 55, 54? How about a smallish flush? The guy is the chip leader and it's a $10+1, so I think that any of these could be possible holdings, and I think that they are probably equal in number to the number of hands he could be holding that we beat. So I'm not entirely sure that I would want to go out swinging with this hand.

I agree with checking, and I'd probably call a moderately sized bet, but fold if he pushes.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 PM

I think I played it the worse way possible. I checked, he bet 500. I went all in for the extra 5. He had 6s7d for a higher two pair.

After he called the overbet on the flop, I just thought I would check/fold unless I improved. But at the end I thought he was just buying the pot and decided to stand up to him.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I played it the worse way possible. I checked, he bet 500. I went all in for the extra 5. He had 6s7d for a higher two pair.

After he called the overbet on the flop, I just thought I would check/fold unless I improved. But at the end I thought he was just buying the pot and decided to stand up to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that YOU looked like you were trying to buy the pot on the flop and then checked it down when that didn't work. He fell into two pair and decided to try to make it look like a bluff.

Oh, and minor thing, why go to the effort of going all in for the extra 5? Chip and chair and all.... Not sure I've come back from 5 but I have from about 20 or so.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:20 PM

You flopped a very dubious hand out of position in an unraised multiway pot. I think you should check the flop, see what develops, and be very open to folding.