Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Lack of EP Respect

A bunch of sites now feature primarily tight players in the 1/2 to 3/6 stakes. Sites like the ex-skins and pokerroom network are good examples of players who are mainly bonus whoring, playing incredibly tight and poorly postflop, but still aggressive.

I've noticed that a lot of these players understand the respect given to players who open with a raise from early position, mostly UTG, and have subsequently noticed a lot more players raising light from UTG. They know how tight the table is and I guess they feel like they have a better shot at the blinds this way, even though they'd have to play the pot out of position. I'm talking about players with a VP$IP of between 15-20 and opening UTG with ATo.

Open raising from LP doesn't mean anything anymore, and players are very willing to play back at you with a wide range of hands, especially the SB. And lately now I am starting to see players 3bet an EP raiser more liberally than before. I have never seen the SB 3bet an UTG raiser so much in my life. I've been doing so much bonus clearing that I haven't been playing the 2/4 full on Party in a while. I have no idea if the games there are now like this. I've been getting myself into so much trouble by 3betting light, I guess I should simply revert to ABC play, although I feel like it's giving up so much because I understand where these players are coming from. The games are not fun to play. I was wondering if anyone else has shared this observation.