Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Flush. call/cap flop?

I thought it was pretty standard, but villian (unknown) thought I was an idiot and told me after the hand....Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP folds, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

I don't think flop raiser folds to the cap often enough to make it EV-
Old 12-12-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Flush. call/cap flop?

El standardo.

Capping will never be a mistake. You've got ~50% equity HU anyway.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:19 AM

I don't get why you capped the flop. If you don't fold out the raisor, the bet is probably very slightly +EV. If he does fold, it's significantly -EV. So he doesn't need to fold very often to make the endeavour cost you money. If he does call, you rarely get a free card anyways. Plus you give up the chance to raise the turn, blah blah blah.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 AM

I think there's a better chance that the button will call 2SBs back to him on the flop before he calls 2BBs cold on the turn. I think we can count on SB to lead every turn card after his PF/Flop action. Hero's position sucks for extraction from the Button. He's got equity on the flop. Capping disguises Hero's hand if the flush hits.

I won't say it's standard - but I like it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a better chance that the button will call 2SBs back to him on the flop before he calls 2BBs cold on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the amount we make on his cold-call is negligible.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we can count on SB to lead every turn card after his PF/Flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even after we call-cap?

[ QUOTE ]
Capping disguises Hero's hand if the flush hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will diguise our hand the minority of the time that the flush hits on the turn, but it conversely reveals our hand when we go into check-call mode the majority of the time?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think flop raiser folds to the cap often enough to make it EV-

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't either but even the times he does it's not like your spewing by capping with 45% equity.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a better chance that the button will call 2SBs back to him on the flop before he calls 2BBs cold on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
But the amount we make on his cold-call is negligible.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's not. First off - it's an extra BB - that in itself is not negligible. Second - he's going to be a lot more inclined to continue the hand to the river, and possibly showdown, after investing 6SBs on the first two streets.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think we can count on SB to lead every turn card after his PF/Flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even after we call-cap?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine. Possibly not any turn card. I don't think you should discount the amount of donk-betting that occurs on the turn in the 2/4 game. It's gotten really ridiculous lately - and possibly that's influencing my analysis.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Capping disguises Hero's hand if the flush hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
It will diguise our hand the minority of the time that the flush hits on the turn, but it conversely reveals our hand when we go into check-call mode the majority of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]
When are we ever going to be in check/call mode? If SB checks the turn, we check and the BB bets. This situation is negligible. SB probably won't give a free card on a non-club turn - that's fine. Smooth-calling the turn after call-capping the flop probably doesn't narrow Hero's range in SB's view to only a flush draw.

Regardless of all of these points. It's not like we're trying to disguise, protect or gain extra value needed to make up any bet because of some equity disadvantage. IMO, this is a fine example of a cap for value.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:15 PM

i thought this is extremely standard because we cap this here. we are either winning with flush here or not so its capped while our value is high. If turn card comes here our value goes to pot but we are still c call turn one way or the other. so who cares if our hand is given away its not like we are winning this hand any other way. sorry didnt see gutshot. even more reason to call down turn no matter what. what are our other options here?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why you capped the flop. If you don't fold out the raisor, the bet is probably very slightly +EV. If he does fold, it's significantly -EV. So he doesn't need to fold very often to make the endeavour cost you money. If he does call, you rarely get a free card anyways. Plus you give up the chance to raise the turn, blah blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a pair, gutshot, and flush draw I have 17 outs to improve not always to a best hand thoguh. I have to imagine that any time I keep both players in it's more than slight EV, and when it goes HU, equity wise it may be EV-, but having the ability to take a free card on the turn...remember I have absolute position now....makes the play much more valuable.

A couple other notes on your other post:

I don't think 2BB is really negligible for LP player to call on the turn. 2BB is 2BB, and most players don't like their TPGK anymore.

What do you mean it reveals our hand when we go into check call mode? Do you mean it reveals it in this current hand? If so, I don't see why that is a huge problem. Villian is going to showdown.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but having the ability to take a free card on the turn...remember I have absolute position now....makes the play much more valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]