Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What sushi roll should I try?
Philadelphia roll (avocado cream cheese, fish roe & smoked salmon) 6 17.65%
Crab tempura roll (deep fried crabmeat & cucumber inside) 14 41.18%
Salmon skin roll (broiled salmon & scallions) 5 14.71%
California roll (avocado, crabmeat, cucumber & fish roe) 9 26.47%
Boston roll (avocado, lettuce, mayo & shrimp) 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

One more. Portfolio manager/trader. I can play up to 5 games a week, very few during earnings season.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:16 PM

Me and my two roommates sit around and play poker and do nothing all day, its the best summer job ive ever had. We are all 20 and have the freedom to do whatever whenever. My goal of a "Real job" is to buid up a bankroll and try daytrading during the day and poker at night. I'm a nuclear enginnering major who has realized that math sucks and I can make more doing this than operating an nuclear power plant...is that sad?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you spend 10 years in school busting your ass preparing for a career, and suddenly you realize you could make almost as much in your underwear at home playing a card game, it's kind of depressing. It's so depressing I haven't found the motivation to quit yet.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost as much? I'm 19. Failed chemistry at highschool (?) this year, so no education whatsoever. Still I'm making enough money to make it more -EV to spend time buying useless stuff than actually paying for it. And this without even having to wear underwear.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me and my two roommates sit around and play poker and do nothing all day, its the best summer job ive ever had. We are all 20 and have the freedom to do whatever whenever. My goal of a "Real job" is to buid up a bankroll and try daytrading during the day and poker at night. I'm a nuclear enginnering major who has realized that math sucks and I can make more doing this than operating an nuclear power plant...is that sad?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can math suck when you make money playing poker? Makes no sense to me.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 PM

If you ever consider finishing your school - don't play poker while working. You might get a bad beat sometimes.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a nuclear enginnering major who has realized that math sucks and I can make more doing this than operating an nuclear power plant...is that sad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You can make 80k starting, max out at 120k for the rest of your life? I feel like a sucker for getting my PhD, thinking an extra 2k a year from poker is HUGE, when I could be making 80k as a nuclear power plant operator. Any life plans that start out with "Me and my two roommates..." need to be rethought. Do the math. It'll pay off.

SlimP
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 PM

I have a job. It took a long time to train for it. My job frequently involves sticking my finger in asses. My customers sometimes die.

I was at work for 14 hours. I played poker for less than 4 hours when I got home. I made three times as much playing poker than at my job, and it took less than 1/3 the time. Bah humbug.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:53 AM

Until a month or so ago,YTD I was making more money playing poker than my "real" job. So, I was officially a professional poker player. My hobbies included hanging out at an office 40 hours a week doing quant financial research for money.

I am getting minor surgery tomorrow and will be laid up for the next 5 days. I have a new rake back all set, and am planning to grind out about 60 hours of SNGs, so that I can be a professional poker player again.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What a great thread.

I should do another poll called: Do your wives/ girlfriends support your poker habit?

Because people need to share. It's good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine does. I lose $148 dorking around in some pointless tournament at Sam's Town. She goes to the Rio and wins it back playing 4/8. I am fully supported.

SlimP
Old 06-29-2005, 03:41 AM

I dont want to sound greedy, but maxing out at 120 for the rest of my life doesnt seem that great to me. 50/hr full time gets you just over 100k a year and many do that now, I'm 4 tabling at the 20ish range with plenty to learn, but I will at least finish college and take it from there. Maybe law school, its seems thats the cool thing to do.