Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 01:49 AM

Default JJ

canterbury 30/60 9 handed

UTG opens. he is very tight. 1 fold. a loose, severely retarded player cold calls. 1 fold. I look at J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and coldcall. monkey to my left coldcalls. folds to BB who 3-bets (this means nothing). UTG 4-bets. retarded player calls 2 more cold. I call 2 more cold. monkey to my left now caps it at 5, and all call.

Flop 5 ways 30SB: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, retard calls, I call, monkey folds, BB calls.

Turn (17BB): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, retard bets, what's my plan?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: JJ

raise it up if you think the monkey would ever bet without a straight.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:01 AM

Yikes! I think you severey f'd this hand up PF but given that you didnt 3-bet, I think you ought to raise flop to try and seize control/knock out 1 overcard type hands. Given that you flat called the flop bet, I think you should now go ahead and raise the turn and fold to 3-bet. I'd hate to be putting in any chips in on a black river card though. This hand gives me a headache just thinking about it.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes! I think you severey f'd this hand up PF

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

UTG opens. he is very tight. 1 fold. a loose, severely retarded player cold calls. 1 fold. I look at J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and coldcall. monkey to my left coldcalls. folds to BB who 3-bets (this means nothing). UTG 4-bets. retarded player calls 2 more cold. I call 2 more cold. monkey to my left now caps it at 5, and all call.

Flop 5 ways 30SB: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
The UTG player has a better hand than you and the turn bettor or BB can easily have a straight, this is an obvious fold.....or is it? If the UTG has QQ,KK,AA, he may not call a turn raise on that board, if there is even a slight chance that the turn bettor and the BB do not have a straight than raising is better than folding, this is even true if the bettor or the bb have 2 pair and will never fold. Raising the turn would be a high risk play that can easily backfire, but this pot is huge. In my opinion, Raising the turn is your best option since this will probably force the utg tight player off of a better hand than yours, and if youre 3 bet by the turn bettor or the BB you can safely fold since that would mean you are drawing dead. Risking 2BB in this large pot is well worth it if it gives you a small chance of winning. Raising is the best play, folding the second best play, and calling would be horrible.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes! I think you severey f'd this hand up PF

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pokerbob, I thought you played your hand fine preflop, reraising jacks PF is not the autoraise many people believe it is.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 AM

whoops. I missed the read on utg...I no longer like any of my comments except for the turn. sorry.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise it up if you think the monkey would ever bet without a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm i like this
Old 10-05-2005, 05:51 AM

i honestly like a raise in this spot.

Reasons:

1) if the idiot has nothing you are going to win a very nice pot.
2) there is almost no way (unless they are ok players who marry there hands) that an overpair can call here to that type of action.
(Bet and a raise on the turn on that type of board)
3) the pot is pretty damn big, and your play has to probably succeed a tiny percentage of the time for you to make this profitable.
4) the idiot might not even reraise with 2 pair or a straight figuring he's beat or tied
5) if the idiot does call you can check behind on the river.
6) if you beat the idiot with JJ you can probably tilt the other 2 guys for blowing them out of the pot with the winner.

You see I usually would raise here if I'm playing against other players that think like me and we have a donk in this hand, but from my experience these plays have such a low probablity of working because players get emotionally attached to their hands and they'll call hoping to god that there KK or AA will hold up. But if you think you are up against thinking players, then by all means give it a shot.

My question to you is this?

If you do raise and make it heads up on the river with the donk..... do you value bet the river?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerBob,

Didn't UTG, who is "very tight" open for a raise, since everyone called until the BB "three bet?"

Would UTG 4bet preflop with Ts or 9s? AKo? AQs. What were your chances of having the best hand preflop?

Why was it not a good idea, to either fold preflop, because you believe the odds are in favor of you having a lesser hand, or raising, because you believe you have the best hand, instead of calling 2 bets cold? And, then another 2, and then another 1........

Did UTG's 4bet preflop reduce the chances of him having AK/AQs in your mind much? You know the guy, not me....I'm not even sure it's a guy.

Seems to me, with all this action from the various animals and mentally impaired players at the table, that we would want to either 1. Believe we have the best pair preflop, or 2. Have the best drawing hand preflop.

Have you ever been referred to as: "Limp-A-Long" Bob?