Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 11:35 PM

Default i think im bleeding chips

im playing some midhigh limits on a small site where i know almost everyone at these limits. the BB in this hand ive never seen before but hes sitting at 3 empty tables at this limit hoping someone sits down with him to play heads up while multitabling several other games. hes bought in for 70BBs on each of his tables. button is a fish.

i just saw a hand he played in before i sat down where he 3bet someone preflop and took down the pot.

3handed

button folds, I raise ATo from the SB, BB calls

flop is K25r

I bet, BB raises, I call

turn is 7

I check, BB bets I call planning on checkfolding river unimproved
Old 11-24-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: i think im bleeding chips

call and fold turn UI. he doesn't have a king, unless, he's tricky or too straight forward. he may have nothing and making him bet the turn will give you a chance to bleed his chips when you hit the next time.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:00 AM

I also think an argument can be made for how you played it.

1) Would he really call with a hand like Q5. 56s or 57s might call but A2, A5 and pocket pairs would 3 bet.

2) He wouldn't raise with a King

It really does like like Villian has nothing.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:05 AM

a good player should be calling alot of 5x hands against a SB raise especially 56s and 57s. A2o and A5o should not be 3betting against an unknown.

i dont see why you think he wouldnt raise with a king. raising with a king is fine in this spot as long as you arent raising or calling every time.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:15 AM

56s and 57s are definitely calling but thats only 12 hand combos.

A2o and A5o aren't 3 betting? I don't know why.

He probably shouldn't be raising the King against an unknown. He should let you bet the flop, check or bet the turn but try to get you to call an extra bet. (i'm just beginning to play with the idea of checking behind on the turn with a large pair in order to get my opponent to call on the river where he would have folded on the turn) AFter he shows you his King then he can raise his top pair the next time. It seems silly to employ reverse psychology against an unknown.

Q5s is an okay call? I can see why, but only if you're prepared to fold a lot of flops. It might be juvenile, but unless I'm playing against a LAG, I feel sheepish calling in the bb HU and folding the flop.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:40 AM

stop folding your BB against SB steals. Q5s is a good call especially in an aggressive game. the game im playing in the SB is openraising alot. its not like a passive player at a 3/6 game that only raises premium hands. you seriously have to be playing 90% of your hands in the BB against a SB steal in these types of games. i dont know if 90% is the right number but thats a good estimate.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call planning on checkfolding river unimproved

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are doing this often, you are indeed bleeding chips. but of course, you already know that. fold the turn, or don't fold the river. one or the other.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call planning on checkfolding river unimproved

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are doing this often, you are indeed bleeding chips. but of course, you already know that. fold the turn, or don't fold the river. one or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The call-fold should be used relatively sparingly, unless you know a player likes free SD raises, or is a good player who might pull an aggressive semibluff. I have recently come to realize I bleed chips a bit in this fashion - it's amazing how so many players just don't stop betting regardless of their cards... horrible, awful river bets with KT on a Axxxx board that's just not for value and not a bluff...it doesn't seem to matter to bad agro players.

Surf
Old 11-25-2005, 05:07 AM

Disclaimers: I play 10/20 and 15/30. I suck at poker.

Agreed with Surf. Don't expect a tough player to stop bluffing just because you called the turn. If he's decided to bluff at this board (and what a bluff-friendly board it is!), he'll keep firing I think.

At least I would.

Edit - also make sure you 3-bet this flop from time to time.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:11 AM

It looks like he could be a guy normally playing much higer since he is sitting alone at a lot tables waiting for fish?

Sometimes these good players coming from higher limits get a little bit to aggressive because its only peanuts money. So I would call him down and see what he had.

Agree with most posters. If u call turn it is because there is a chance he will bluff and I dont think riverbet is big enough proof he isnt so u have to call again.