Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 11:19 AM

Default I can\'t beat the 20-table SNGs

I tried multitabling them 4 nights. Played about 9 of them each time. I can run 7 windows on Stars, and I signed up for new ones as I busted out of some early.

I had a total net loss of $60. I didn't make any top 5 finishes in 35 tournaments. It may be partly variance, since one top 3 finish would have given me an acceptable overall result. With 40 players left, I was usually around #20 in the tournaments I was still in. I was rarely in the top 5 or top 10 at any stage.

The early action is these is pretty loose. Last night, I tripled up when with the blinds 25/50 there was a raise to 250 and a call. I pushed for 1500 and got called by A6s and K7s.

Later on, the play seems reasonably tough. I wonder if these are more difficult than the typical $20 MTT.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: I can\'t beat the 20-table SNGs

Likely just variance. I thought they were some of the easiest fields I had ever played in. The structure is really good imo
Old 10-29-2005, 12:58 PM

They will be much easier to play if you let your stack dwindle until you are in the red zone. Then you can play lots more hands and its easier to double up.

You may also not be continuation calling enough.

-g [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 01:45 PM

4 nights is probably a big enough sample to determine your win rate. I think you should give up.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you still don't understand sample size?

C'mon, man. Those results mean nothing. Like, pretty much, absolutely nothing. Don't worry about it.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:43 PM

I'm pretty sure you're just running bad. I played 4 last night, and found the play pretty bad in all of them. You just have to have one tournament where you have a couple decent hands and they hold up. I had one, where I doubled up with top set vs middle pair, then top and bottom pair vs bottom 2, and after that I could play a nice big stack game. In the other 3, I took a bad beat, had trips top kicker vs a boat, and got no cards and eventually lost a coin flip with 40 left.

Example of how bad the play is even late. At the final table, with 7 left, I was the short stack with 24k, blinds 1k/2k. I pushed 55 in MP and the guy right behind me called 70% of his stack with QhJh. Now I was pushing a lot on the button and in the small blind, but I'm pretty sure my range from this position with 12xBB has QJs beat pretty bad. There were other similarly bad plays even after this hand, as well as a mix of guys who were way too passive and guys who weve overaggressive.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 PM

I will keep trying some more. I had an awful lot of late bust outs with bad beats or running into big hands. It may just be luck. With the big money in the top places, the variance is way higher than 5-table SNGs.

It is also possible I am thinking of these too much like SNGs and worrying more than I usually would about cashing and final tabling. This seems to show from my results of a lot of 2nd tables and 2nd half of final tables. I think I have to play more according to my usually MTT style of playing to win.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 PM

Looks like I'm in one w/you now.

I agree w/most posters who attribute the slump to variance. It doesn't seem that way, but 180 is a fairly large field (small compared to many mega MTTs, but still big enough to have plenty of landmines to dodge. Well, here's hoping we make it to heads up.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like I'm in one w/you now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm directly on his right. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Edit: And I'm donking it up...
Old 10-30-2005, 01:38 AM

Happy now? a 4th and at least a 2nd.