Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Fun as Big Stack on the Bubble $11

I'm sorry, but I can't find the stupid HH on bodog.

I've got like 7k, and I earned almost all of it by being a big bully against tight 10+1 bubblers (?!). SB and BB both have ~1k. Blinds are 250/500. UTG pushes with 1.5k. I think this is an easy call with any two. Correct?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Fun as Big Stack on the Bubble $11

[ QUOTE ]

I've got like 7k, and I earned almost all of it by being a big bully against tight 10+1 bubblers (?!). SB and BB both have ~1k. Blinds are 250/500. UTG pushes with 1.5k. I think this is an easy call with any two. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

i never thought about this before...

assuming SB and BB fold (which they will, unless they have ~QQ+) you're going to call 1.5k to win a total of 4.25k. villain will have a tight range, because the BB is pc'ed, and he's risking pushing through you. if you're 1/3 to win the pot, that's -chipEV and more -$EV b/c you'd love the BB to win and keep the bubble going. 32o is under 1/3 to win against a random hand, utg's hand is way better than random, and you have the possibility of a blind having AA.

so no, calling any 2 is terrible.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i never thought about this before...

assuming SB and BB fold (which they will, unless they have ~QQ+) you're going to call 1.5k to win a total of 4.25k. villain will have a tight range, because the BB is pc'ed, and he's risking pushing through you. if you're 1/3 to win the pot, that's -chipEV and more -$EV b/c you'd love the BB to win and keep the bubble going. 32o is under 1/3 to win against a random hand, utg's hand is way better than random, and you have the possibility of a blind having AA.

so no, calling any 2 is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's got negative immediate cEV, but if I call, I either bust this guy or preserve the bubble with two shorties with almost even stacks, and me with the chip lead. Also, calling with crap will deter future pushes by the two shorties if I win and by #2 if I lose.

I may be a little too anxious to find spots where I can make -cEV plays correctly at these stakes, but I think this is a pretty good one.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if I call, I either bust this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

you know you don't want to bust this guy, right?

[ QUOTE ]
I may be a little too anxious to find spots where I can make -cEV plays correctly at these stakes, but I think this is a pretty good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are few and far between. if you want, start a new thread discussing these in general, cause i can't think of any off the top of my head.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but if I call, I either bust this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

you know you don't want to bust this guy, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's the point of my play. However, if I were guaranteed to take the pot here, I'd certainly make this play, as if I fold here, someone's either busting or forced all in on the BB next hand, with busting being more likely. Thus, taking the pot is +EV for me, and shouldn't be considered a negative result.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think so...i'd push any two the next hand and take it back from him though.

Iedit...just realized the BB is calling if you fold.