Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: The reason for the 4x raise

I think most of the time he's calling here with AA, some of the time he's gonna give me great odds raising to 90k or so, and a very small percentage of the time he's going all in.
With KK, I think the order is, most time raising to 100k or so, some time going all in, and a small percentage calling.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 AM

From what I have read about Matt's play, he is going to be putting you in with any hand that has decent positive equity against your range. So, what do you think that a good player like him would think for your range? I think, you can take any hand that is a favorite to your range, add a small premium for your early position, and you have it. I think AA-TT(maybe JJ), AK looks about right to me, but I would extend/tighten it depending on what your image was like at this point.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 AM

So basically, when he just calls this raise, you put him on exactly aces with a low chance of kings?

That's the way I often play against a donkey who won't make that assumption, but that's also why I think Matt Matros' exact calling hand range against sirio11's big UTG raise is zero.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: My last hand in the PP $350K

[ QUOTE ]
don't know his style but I would push both, think long and hard about what to do with jacks (probably call -edit: I meant push, don't know why I typed that) and fold AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the chip leader at the table, if you lose the hand you still have 80k (vs the raiser).

You fold AQ or AQs here, really?

I think you have great FE if you push, and since UTG raised to 4x, do you really think he has AA or KK?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: My last hand in the PP $350K

I put you squarely on some type of pocket when you do this and don't think I have much FE at all (you raised a quarter of your stack, didn't you?) so yes, I'm folding AQ. (I may reraise from the BB or LP if I think I have *some*, but not UTG+1.) AK is close just in case I'm wrong.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically, when he just calls this raise, you put him on exactly aces with a low chance of kings?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not if and only if.

AA-KK then probably call.

Call then AA-KK, I don't think so.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:58 AM

Then I honestly don't get it. I can't think of a single hand that it would be correct to call with other than a misguided trap attempt.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I honestly don't get it. I can't think of a single hand that it would be correct to call with other than a misguided trap attempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can call here with a variety of hands. If you think you can win the pot by hitting your hand or making a play because of your position.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 AM

If I put you on something like QQ-88, AK-AQ (I would actually discount AK-AQ), it is in no way correct for me to call this bet with anything speculative.

I'm calling ~20% of my stack and over 25% of yours with eight people, most of whom are perfectly capable of a squeeze play, left to act behind me. This strikes me as a great way to lose a bunch of chips.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: The ranges

So you don't think AA-KK is also a possibility? He knows you'll be getting almost 2/1 on a call, and IMO there are very few hands that he thinks you're going to fold in that spot.

BTW I like the raise for the reason you mentioned, although I would have put him on a higher range of hands and fold. Some have said that this is a "come and steal this pot" raise from UTG, but I beg to differ. It may not look incredibly strong, but decent players will know that they have very little FE against you and need to come in with a very strong hand.