Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

Tell him that his bankroll has grown enough that he can now play a new game called the "college savings account" in which his money makes itself. After this give him his initial 100 back and keep him playing at a small level as you obviously have no qualms about him gambling in the first place. Perhaps this is where you want to instill some bankroll management skills that could actually become helpful later in life when he realizes you cant retire on pocket aces.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell him that his bankroll has grown enough that he can now play a new game called the "college savings account" in which his money makes itself. After this give him his initial 100 back and keep him playing at a small level as you obviously have no qualms about him gambling in the first place. Perhaps this is where you want to instill some bankroll management skills that could actually become helpful later in life when he realizes you cant retire on pocket aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a dick move, I say let him play as much as he wants until it begins to intervene with other things he needs to be doing.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would be a dick move, I say let him play as much as he wants until it begins to intervene with other things he needs to be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

A dick move? The kid is 9.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:53 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this a dick move?? do you remember having 1000 dollars when you were 9.. Imagine the education you could have paid for had you invested a simple 1000 at age 9 into some sort of rolling CD's or into a 10 year trust. But your right, trading a future for a chance to move up to the 20's is the right move.

But im just a donk
Old 11-23-2005, 04:01 PM

I think it is ok provided that:

a) You know the password to the account and he doesn't.
b) You sit behind him when he plays and talk to him, trying to teach him about risk/reward, probability. I think a nine year old can grasp these things.
c) You block the chat if possible.

But if you treat it as a babysitter, I think it is a horrible idea.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, a nine year old has no need for 1100 dollars. Take the thousand and put it away for college and keep playing with the orginal hundred. And, if the kid has a major problem with that, you will know that there's a problem developing, so you can put a stop to it.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your wife is a wise person by the sounds of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful OP. This type of thing leads to divorce and restricted visiting rights. Believe me, I know.

If bad things go down, Boy is going to ask you someday "Dad, is it true you and Mom split cuz you let me play poker?"

Have him learn chess.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, a nine year old has no need for 1100 dollars. Take the thousand and put it away for college and keep playing with the orginal hundred. And, if the kid has a major problem with that, you will know that there's a problem developing, so you can put a stop to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about putting ALL of it away for college... I could certainly see putting half of it towards college though.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
boys

[/ QUOTE ] ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly missed the point.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:14 PM

you should teach him pot odds for his 10th birthday