Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Poker and Relationships

Married 6 years - 2 boys of 5 and 2

Simply put, I plan my play for early evening while the soaps are on TV, my wife loves her Eastenders / coronation street etc and when she runs out of UK ones to watch she hits the satellite TV and watches US crap TV too, Friends/charmed etc - all the rubbish.

I do her a big favour, take the kids upstairs, lark about with them a bit, read a bedtime story, and settle them down, then spend a couple of hours of quality time with my PC, and get thanked by the wife for letting her have her TV time ;-)

and of course handing her some extra spending money now and again helps too!

Mat
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM

As w/ her watching TV: there are shows that she likes, but I think she feels neglected if I play poker online - and she watches TV by herself.

She mumbles something about "not hanging out." (Ie: Not spending time w/ her) LOL. I tell her, "I'm right here!"
Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As w/ her watching TV: there are shows that she likes, but I think she feels neglected if I play poker online - and she watches TV by herself.

She mumbles something about "not hanging out." (Ie: Not spending time w/ her) LOL. I tell her, "I'm right here!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I've made it clear right from even before we got married (we lived together for 8 years first) that I do not and will not watch soaps. If she wants my company in front of the TV then all she needs to do is put on a good movie, interesting documentary, even a decent comedy - but I don't watch trash TV!

Mat
Old 08-03-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For the guys who have a wife / girlfriend, etc: How do you guys manage both?

[/ QUOTE ]

"business trips"
Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 PM

Win enough money to pay off the honeymoon. It worked for me, now she insists I go win more money. Goodluck.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:39 PM

As I see it as long as you are being a good partner and taking care of your relationship then the problem is your girlfriend. So if I were you and I was getting static from the SO I would take a look at my conduct and if felt I needed to make some changes I would do so. If I felt that I was doing fine I would sit down with the SO and have a talk. If after making the necessary changes and/or the talk there were still problems then I would trade my SO in for a less controlling model.

Good Luck I fear you are going to need it.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:49 PM

i am VERY lucky in that my wife loves poker as much as i do. and i have only one other friend who has that same fortune. i guess just prioritize family first and don't let it become soemthing you can argue over. if you do, something needs to be changed.

good luck!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:00 PM

I'm on my 2nd marriage [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

1st wife hated that she didn't get ALL of my free time for her or her and the children. It did'nt start out that way. However as a few years went by she kept wanting more of the very little time I had alloted for anything.

She liked that I made money and spent it on her and the family. She did'nt like me playing poker.

The new wife is a different breed. She likes poker, she plays poker, she is a slight loser at poker no matter how many fing times I teach her how to play.

Her problem is similar to many women worldwide, she has no control or understanding of how to manage money.

She wants me to play and continue to make money to spend on her and the family.

Many friends have posed the same question you are asking to me, so PAY ATTENTION TO THIS:

Before you buy that ring, and/or marry/live with this or any girl. YOUR AGREEMENT is to make sure she FULLY UNDERSTANDS, what is important to you (ie playing poker "x" hrs per week) or whatever hobby or thing you need to continue to be happy.

If your hobby makes money you will spend a % of profit on the family.

You can also say what you will/may give up if that helps her understand better.

If she doesn't agree or like it then YOU SHOULD FOLD, SHOW HER THE DOOR AND MOVE ON.

I cannot stress this last sentence enough.

good luck

regards
Old 08-03-2005, 03:23 PM

Very simple... Ask your significant other if she wants to spend time with you before you start playing.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Her problem is similar to many women worldwide, she has no control or understanding of how to manage money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oilcan, please don't restrict this statement to women, or make the incorrect conclusion that women are unable to manage money. Many losing players (regardless of gender) have a problem managing money.

In response to the relationships: each of you should have time alotted to doing what you want. It is important to spend time together and also important to spend time apart.