Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Pushing edges

Tournament strategy.

1.In the beginning we are all created equal
2. Unless familiar opponents it will take some time to recognize skill levels and reasons for participating, hence how to play

The dynamics are changing by means of stacks, number of opponents, cost of bets , styles of play etc

I have little problem trying to exploit the smallest of edges to the maximum in the early stages, I am an accumulator. My skills( or lack of such [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) I feel are far better when I have grown a big stack as it allows for alot more creativness( Kinda obviuoss)

What I then wonder is how hard one should press ones assumed edges in later stages of a tourney when still bigstack compared to field, but not nessecarily against the opponent/s involved in a particular hand. What estimated edge would you set as a minimum requirement when asked for all your chips or you are quite certain your opponent will contribute all of his chips if you bid him to.
This regarding money tournamnets

Will you differ how hard you push your edge PF, flopp, turn?

3 hypothetical situations

Pf field down to 100 outa 700 you are 6 stack 80K, your hand QQ your opponents range is AK,JJ-99( just go with this one) he has you covered. You know that he will call if you go all inn- will you? or do you want to charge a decent amount to see a flopp-knowing he`ll call if you choose that as well( hypotetical right), but you might not get him to contribute anymore unless he has a fair shot at beating you or has hit a better hand then yours postflopp

2 Flopp Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Your hand JT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Your opponent has tripps 90% sure and pushes and has you covered( same situation tourney wise as above), what if the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]was 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]instead?

3. Your hand A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Flopp A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] You are 70 % sure opponent has made flush and he pushes-same stacks as in previouss( but you are not pot commited yet)

I believe I have an answer I just want different opinions or confirmation of my own prefered ones
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Pushing edges

The problems with these hands is you cannot possibly be 90% sure he has trips, or 70% he has the flush..

the club hand, it's not that good, you have no overs, the flush and the gutshot is OK, but nothing great, i wouldnt go nuts with it.

the AK hand i'd be dammn aggressive with though.

dunno what you want me to answer, so if i didnt do it, lemme know.