Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Hands late in MTT with huge blinds

This situation comes up pretty much every big MTT that you near the end of. Lets say your down to 4-5 handed, you all have slightly less than 200k in chips, blinds at 10k, 20k.

If you pick up a decent hand on the button (say any pocket pair, A9+), what is the best move.

Calling is obviously bad, and any raise seems to pretty much committ you if someone comes over the top. So in this situatioon do you just push?

Last night for example, I have about 180k, blinds 10k, 20k 4 handed I pick up 77 on the button. both blinds have similar stakcs to me. what is the best play here?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Hands late in MTT with huge blinds

poooooosh?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Steal or get heads up. Push it all-in.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling is obviously bad, and any raise seems to pretty much committ you if someone comes over the top. So in this situatioon do you just push?

[/ QUOTE ]
You answered your own question.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the rpelies. I guess with the blinds this big, you are happy to steal them 90% of time, and when called, its almost always a coinflip anyway.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the rpelies. I guess with the blinds this big, you are happy to steal them 90% of time, and when called, its almost always a coinflip anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The better question is how many hands worse than what you called big hands should you push with? Assuming everyone has roughly equal stacks and is roughly equal ability/tightness/etc. from the button when folded to I'm pushing 1/4 to 1/3 of my hands. If I think one or both of the blinds are risk averse I'm pushing 1/3 to 1/2 my hands when folded to on the button. Obviously things change depending on reads and short stacks present, but in general I'm pushing and stealling enough that my pushes with these real hands are good and needed too.