Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 01:28 AM

Default Not sure about this hand.

This is the first hand Ive posted on 2+2, hopefully I format it ok because I dont know of a hand converter for the site I play on (Prima).

NL holdem 5/10c blinds.

Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop (Pot: 0.60) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets 0.40, UTG+1 calls, Button calls, others fold.

Turn (Pot 1.80) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button bets 0.40, Hero raises 1.20, UTG+1 folds, Button folds.

I really didnt like how I played this, but im not exactly sure why. 9 10s UTG probably isnt a good call to start with but these 5/10c tables are pretty passive pre flop so I knew there would be a few limpers. I would like to hear what other people have to say about the hand.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Not sure about this hand.

i consider your play fine. i'm a bit looser than most people here seem to condone, pre-flop.. but i figure as long as you outplay (or at least know the true value of your hand) post-flop, it's okay. i'm sure some people will beg to differ. it may be questionable that you bet the draw into such a large field, as the chance that everyone will fold is relatively small and therefore your folding equity is gone. you didn't make the nuts on the turn, but you did make a very solid hand. however, it is not unbeatable and i think the raise here is solid. people could end up with a higher straight or flush than you, or even a boat. the main problem is that your early position makes it difficult to receive maximum payout on this hand.. after betting the first round, then the check into a large raise, someone would have to be pretty slow to not catch this big red flag. you could try calling, but that won't necessarily maximize the value here. you may have tried leading out again for a bet that would entice more calls, since the pot isn't extremely large at this point.. but be aware that you can be outdrawn on this one.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:44 AM

Thanks for replying, I do think the flop bet was the worst bit... i didnt have a good reason to bet there especially in early position like i was. I think I had to raise the turn because my hand was quite vulnerable, but if i hadnt bet out on the flop I might have got a call on the turn from a weaker hand.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:51 AM

i think if you hadn't check-raised the turn (ie: led out isntead), you might have still gotten a call from a weaker hand. however, that can't be said for sure and is certainly debateable. either way, you got some more money withdrawn on the turn, although i would prefer leading out here over a risky (that they might check behind you) check-raise that reveals some of your hand's potential strength.