Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 AM

Default A matter of strenght

It is a necessity to keep your stack from shrinking and with the blinds ever rising stealing will make up for a good portion of your ability to progress and be a force waiting for the premium hands and hopefully contribute a less flawed game then the opposition and finish where the nice figures are.

One will attempt a steal based on read and position and to some exctent the holecards. It could be argued that if your holecards are better then random/average you are making a value bet.

The assumption is that you opponets will not call/raise without perhaps a hand in the top 20% of the range.

There are then situations where one can arrive at a situation where one believes the assaulted is not standing up with the top hands or at least one has to include a good few more into the range he`ll pop it up or take a stand with.

Which factors would/should one consider the most in these situations?

1. Pot odds
2. Strenght of own hand.
3. Stacksizes between the battlers.
4. Own stacksize relative to field pre/post a possible showdown
5. Prospect of possibilities if hand is won

It is underlying that the hand will involve 1/3 or more of your own stack.

I am playing for first. But have a recurrent problem when I steal/valuebet a hand in the top 20 and are called/raised by one that is presumably in the same range or better.

Stokken
Old 12-23-2005, 06:04 AM

Default Re: A matter of strenght

I realize english probably isn't your first language, but try to end specific points with a period. Run on sentences are difficult to read through.

I don't think there is a specific order of which is more important. All factors have to be considered, and none can be overlooked. Strange as it seems though, the least important is probably the strength of your own hand. There are simply spots in which I would raise any 2 cards, if all other factors lead me to beleive it's +EV.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: A matter of strenght

I only think about the first 3. 4 and 5 are nonsense in my opinion. #3 I think about in terms of "how much might I be asked to invest later in the hand?" Those 3 variables are just that. 3 variables in one equation. You can't really look at one variable more than another. You must look at the entire equation. Make sense?