Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Berating Weak Players At The Poker Table

Here's what you say to the berater-

"You're just mad that you lost. Go cry to your mommy."

Or better yet, "YSSCKY".

Now you have a good player on tilt, and a bad player who's happy because you are on his side!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:57 PM

I give the fish support by saying things like "gutsy call!" or "wow, that took balls!" or "that's why you gotta take chances!" It's funny, but I find that the tight player then turns and attacks ME. This is usually the type of player who truly believes he DESERVES to win every time he has the best hand pre-flop (or on the flop) and gets his money in. It's really fun to needle these players because they think the poker universe owes them something and find it a great injustice when they lose. They don't get the fact that AA will still lose to 2-7 offsuit 1 in 10 times. I think Ed Miller put it this way: if there's a 10% chance of rain, you shouldn't be mad about getting wet. Those player are almost as profitable because they're so predictable.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:18 PM

yeah. "hey, you never know" is one of my favorites.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Default You Guys Are Tapping on the Aquarium

Let's see if I understand you guys correctly: There's someone at the table who's making what you see as a huge mistake, one that will cost her a lot of money in the long run if she keeps making it. And you want to "educate" her out of it? Or you want to attack her and verbally humiliate her when she makes this mistake?

I don't know about you, but I love having that sort of player at my table. She adds to my bottom line, and I have more fun when she's in the game. Does your need to feel superior take really precedence over both making more money and having more fun?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:59 PM

I wish it was more socially unacceptable for players to berate bad players at the poker table. Instead, the rest of the players just sit there and try to pretend like it's not happening, while the fish who's getting berated either tightens up or leaves sooner than he would have. If it was totally unacceptable to berate other players for their play, the rest of the table would have less problem telling the obnoxious idiots to shut up. However, most players think of table coaches as being just an unfortunate aspect of poker that cannot be avoided.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish it was more socially unacceptable for players to berate bad players at the poker table. Instead, the rest of the players just sit there and try to pretend like it's not happening, while the fish who's getting berated either tightens up or leaves sooner than he would have. If it was totally unacceptable to berate other players for their play, the rest of the table would have less problem telling the obnoxious idiots to shut up. However, most players think of table coaches as being just an unfortunate aspect of poker that cannot be avoided.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never stand for it at my table. What is the Email at Party for abuse, anyways? I'm gonna just start reporting people who ruin good tables.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:59 PM

What would you guys do if you saw two sharks berating each other? Hop on one's side and try to get the other on tilt?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never stand for it at my table. What is the Email at Party for abuse, anyways? I'm gonna just start reporting people who ruin good tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you trying to do, get the live ones barred or something?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you trying to do, get the live ones barred or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

???
No, the players who abuse them.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 PM

How is what you are doing (encouraging a weak player to leave the game) any different from what you think that particular live player is doing (encouraging a weak player to leave the game)?

Do you really want players who are making mistakes to stop making them?

Really?

Or are you the sort of formula player who simply can't adjust your game against that particular sort of weak player? If so, improve your own game, instead of ruining the fishing for the rest of us.