Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Dog Dilemma (negotiating advice needed)

A lot of larger dogs like shepherds die in 7 or 8 years. Not always, but it's far from uncommon. The doc when talking of averages if of course including the chance that your dog will be one of those that actually lives longer than 10.5 years. But my family has had lots of shepherds, and a number kicked off around 8 or 9 years. It's entirely possible that you will not reach that relatively happy average.

I understand the sentimental value completely, but just want to mention that you may be talking about an ownership cost of about a grand a year for his company before you even consider his upkeep and vet costs at all. If I were making tons of money, I'd be as happy to blow it on the happiness of a dog who was a good friend as on any other type of happiness, but when you add food and vet bills for an older dog in, which can be quite substantial, along with ownership cost, you're actually talking about a fairly expensive proposition.

If you're going to buy him from the frat, I would try to not make them fixate too much on your emotional attachment to the dog, or they won't take a penny less than max value, probably. Telling them that his life is half over -- and the cheaper part by far, as well -- and that you should only pay half price sounds both fair and sensible. Remind them that if you aren't the owner paying the vet bills soon, they themselves will be, and what they look forward to now is losing money on the dog, not an investment that will need negligible maintenance. His bill, so to speak, is not paid, but starting to come due, and if you take it off their hands, they can spend their money on a new dog that will be healthy for a long time instead of throwing it down a well on a dog's later years.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its not that bad, but when the discussion turns to money, everyone kinda jews-up (I can say this cause I look jewish and have jewish friends).

[/ QUOTE ]

BAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAA...

no but seriously, since you LOOK JEWISH you can say that? don't be a puss[/b]y, just say it, no need for excuses, especially wicked lame ones
Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its not that bad, but when the discussion turns to money, everyone kinda jews-up (I can say this cause I look jewish and have jewish friends).

[/ QUOTE ]

BAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAA...

no but seriously, since you LOOK JEWISH you can say that? don't be a puss[/b]y, just say it, no need for excuses, especially wicked lame ones

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't an excuse...was put in there for humor.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Steal that dog like you're Asian and hungry.

(It's OK I kinda look ASIAN and one of my homies is KOREAN.)
Old 11-15-2005, 07:35 PM

They are being totally ridiculous. Just keep the dog when you leave. Nobody will sue you, and it's the right outcome.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:39 PM

This is why at my house the House Mascot was always owned by a brother, not just a brother taking care of the house pet. Sure, once in a while no one gets a new pet for a couple years, but it also solves dilemmas such as this. (You should be getting the dog for $1000, but knowing how frats generally work, you'll be lucky to get it for $1500 and a pretty good argument.)
Old 11-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Here's what you do. You go to the pound, find a dog that looks just like your dog, take him home and poison him so that he's dead.

You then hide your actual dog, and take the dead dog to the hosue and sneak him in one night.

You wake up scream "oh my god, not sparky" and voila, you're home free.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what you do. You go to the pound, find a dog that looks just like your dog...

[/ QUOTE ]
My mind auto-completed this sentence: "... nail her, and then dump her, man"
Old 11-16-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the sentimental value completely, but just want to mention that you may be talking about an ownership cost of about a grand a year for his company before you even consider his upkeep and vet costs at all....

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly are you talking about when you mentin "ownership cost"?

I understand vet + food costs, but what else is there?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if I leave him here, he will be miserable w/out me. I studied abroad 2 summers ago and left him with someone else incharge and he was seriously depressed. I came home and he'd lost around 15lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, either he was seriously depressed or they forgot to feed him.