Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Default When to get the money in?

I($100, button) call loose-guy ($250) with AKo. Three to the flop.

Flop ($15): AA4 (2 hearts)

he bets 12...

Now, I'm putting him on AK-A9 given his raising standards. Guy in the middle folds, and action is on me...

The way I see it, I have a few options:

1) flat call, let him think I'm drawing - raise on later streets (I am willing to pay off a boat that he may hit with his 10-Q kicker)

2) minraise, which he certainly won't fold to, but it disguises my hand less (?maybe?)

3) put in a healthy pot sized raise and hope he is not going to lay down his inferior ace (my image is pretty TAG at this point)

Any opinions? I'll tell you what I did shortly...
Old 11-14-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: When to get the money in?

Given your stack vs. his, I think you call or All-In here. A $30 or greater bet pretty much commits you to this pot doesn't it?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:44 PM

First, you might want to consider raising 120% of the time you have AK on the button with limpers. I think villain's range is much broader and has to include 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Raise that flop to $30, either he's coming along or not.

What hand does he have that will call your brillant turn raise, but fold to your vanilla flop raise? I'll help: a flush draw that hits the jackpot.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM

You misunderstood. This is 0.5/1 NL. He raised PF and I cold-called. Obviously this changes the dynamic of the hand. Of course I would open-raise AKo 100% of the time.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You misunderstood. This is 0.5/1 NL. He raised PF and I cold-called. Obviously this changes the dynamic of the hand. Of course I would open-raise AKo 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you smooth called pre-flop, I think a 3-bet against a losse player is a good plan here, but you have psoition so I understand the value that decpetion might play here.

As played you have to raise that flop. (See my previous comment for rationale).
Old 11-14-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think villain's range is much broader and has to include 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Raise that flop to $30, either he's coming along or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You think about him holding a pocket pair higher than 4's?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think villain's range is much broader and has to include 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Raise that flop to $30, either he's coming along or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, but I had never seen him raise a mid-pocket. I consider this unlikely because his PF raise % is only 4.5%. He is loose in that his VP$P is 45%. Hence, a PF raise from him meant this to me:

5% AA given that I had an A.
20% high pocket (JJ-KK)
75% high ace

Assuming that an ace for him is very likely, then, how would you proceed?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Whenever you're up against a possible flush draw (or str8 draw) you've got to consider not only his pot odds but his implied odds. You take away his implied odds by making a Big Bet. You know what the odds are of his making a flush on the turn. Make sure he can not get the correct implied odds even if he hits the turn and you call him down.

If he's got an A good kicker you don't want him to fold. You just want to price out his draw.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, but I had never seen him raise a mid-pocket. I consider this unlikely because his PF raise % is only 4.5%. He is loose in that his VP$P is 45%. Hence, a PF raise from him meant this to me:

20% high pocket (JJ-KK)
75% high ace

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think you have to adjust that range now you see the flop. It's now 50:50 between A9+ & JJ-KK.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

20% high pocket (JJ-KK)
75% high ace

[/ QUOTE ]

After the flop, I would reverse your table. It is highly unlikely he has the other ace. Based on your read he has JJ-KK and likes it. I would discount the odds of KK since you hold one. Villain is most likely drawing to two(or three if has Ax) outs so either he has the stomach to hang around or not.

I just like a raise here because it still disguises your hand. Who in their right mind wants to chase off a pigeon if he's holding AK? I think your best chance to get action in this situation is to give it.