Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Being bet into when your big overs whiff...

What do you do? This happens to me constantly.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ???

When I raise pf, that's pretty much saying I have big overs. So when a small flop like this comes, could they be betting into me w/ nothing knowing I missed?

And shouldn't I be raising to protect my overs in this large pot, or do I have this all wrong?

And would anything change if the flop was a rainbow instead of a flush draw out there?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Being bet into when your big overs whiff...

[ QUOTE ]
And shouldn't I be raising to protect my overs in this large pot, or do I have this all wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what hands are you trying to protect your overs?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:29 PM

I doubt the BB is betting out with complete air. However, they probably caught some part of this flop and figured you to brick it completely. Raising says either "I have a large PP asspipe" or "I'm a donk!". When everyone calls and the BB 3-bets you have to be behind something. Your reverse implied odds are nasty; even with the large pot I fold here and try again with the next hand.

-K
Old 07-26-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what hands are you trying to protect your overs?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3, A 8, A 7, K 3, K 8, K 7 (these guys suck, remember? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 PM

fold the flop.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even with the large pot I fold here and try again with the next hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, I know ssh says raising with overs when you whiff is the right move a lot of times, so this isn't one of them? What if either I had a bdfd? Or if I was in late position and it was checked to the guy on the right of me and HE bet? Would this change anything?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might I ask why? I think I may have just found another big leak [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might I ask why? I think I may have just found another big leak [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i suck with whiffed overcards, but you've got nothing and at best 3 outs to improve (discounted overcards). you were ahead preflop, but waaaay behind here especially with 2 cold callers behind you and nothing scary on the board.

maybe someone else will a)disagree due to pot size or b) do a better job explaining, but being bet into on this board: i hate my hand now. muck.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:27 PM

Whoa. Why? I raise this too. If the flop came up just a tad more coordinated I fold.

[ QUOTE ]
fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-26-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding this flop getting 9.5:1 is terrible. 2 more small bets are likely going to go in this pot before the betting is closed. There is no way you should be folding this.

In the specific instance of THIS hand, it might have been proper to fold according to the fundamental theorem of poker (due to the possibility of whoever is doing all the raising having a set). In general, it is worth continuing in this pot. The odds of you winning by spiking an A or a K are good. Now, will you always win when you spike an A or a K? Of course not! But, at 10.5 or 11.5:1, I'm liking my chances.