Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 01:13 PM

Default AKo in the BB

Huge pot with AKo here. I capped preflop and ended up with the nut gutshot.

Reads: I don't have many hands on these guys, but from what I've seen, neither of them raise before the flop very much. MP2 is a lot tighter than the button.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (20.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Should I have raise here to protect my hand? I'm not sure if I can buy any outs at this point though. The pot is way too big. I call instead and the preflop raiser ends up trapping everyone for two bets. I'm worried about trips lowing the quality of my straight draw. I figure that this pot is way to large, so I call intending to check-raise when I spike a Q.

Turn: (14.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (18.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 20.20 BB
Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: AKo in the BB

that sux really. the pot is too big to protect and MP2's c/r could be a fullhouse. i'd really want to fold after that, but the pot is too huge really.

rambling saying: i'd probably play it the same.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:20 PM

I'm just calling this preflop. If you weren't already in the BB I'd muck. Especially with your reads.

Given your play, flop is standard. A raise doesn't protect in a 21SB pot, and you really want to avoid getting 3-bet.

The rest is standard.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:23 PM

<font color="red">WARNING</font>: 2+2 newbie here. If I'm wrong, be gentle; if I'm right, it was an accident, I swear.

I think you played it standard. You called with your gutshot odds and bailed when it didn't hit.

I cannot imagine UI A/K is good.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:33 PM

I'm not clear on what you're trying to protect - your draw? With these I just hang on (within reason) and hope to hit.

I'd be interested in whether calling pf would be better than rr? You have two aggressors to your immediate right which could come in extremely handy postflop. There's too many hands in this situation but with fewer players I'd like to keep a possible raise/rr to myself until I spring it...

Mike
Old 07-16-2005, 01:52 PM

That's a really good point. I thought about calling, but I've been told too many times to cap before the flop with AK. Of course, this was at a pretty tight table, so I should've respected the 3-bet.

FWIW, MP2 shows KJ (??) and Button shows AA and takes the pot.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a really good point. I thought about calling, but I've been told too many times to cap before the flop with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a HUGE difference between betting, getting raised, and then capping versus seeing a raise and a 3-bet in front and cold-capping it.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 PM

since you capped preflop, I would lead the flop and see what kind of action you get. If it's 3 back to you on the flop I might consider folding the tainted gutshot. You may be drawing dead.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM

the only thing we're dead to right now is TT. we're nearly dead to a boat, but I think the chances of that given this flop are pretty slim. also, who 3-bets when they flop a boat? our queen outs are good, but subject to redraws.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only thing we're dead to right now is TT. we're nearly dead to a boat, but I think the chances of that given this flop are pretty slim. also, who 3-bets when they flop a boat? our queen outs are good, but subject to redraws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you drawing dead to JJ QQ KK or AA? I think so. MP did raise preflop and didn't have a chance to cap so not much info there. I 3 bet when I flop a boat. You should too.