Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Default SS home game - Is Villain shrewd or a maniac?

Home Poker 1-2 HE (6 handed)

Very fishy home game, SB (Hero) and UTG+1 (Villain) are both loose-agressive and Dealer is a calling station.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Villain calls, CO folds, Dealer calls, Hero raises, BB calls, Villain calls

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB calls, Villain raises, Dealer calls, Hero calls, BB folds

Turn: (15 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, Villain raises, Dealer calls, Hero calls

River: (13.5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 19.5 BB

Winner: Villan UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero critiques Villain after showdown for staying with a gutshot. Villain claimed that semi-bluffing to run up the pot gave him better than correct odds to stick around.

Hypothetical action:
Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Villain calls, CO folds, Dealer calls, Hero raises, BB calls, Villain calls

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB calls, Villain calls, Dealer calls

Turn: (12 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB folds, Villain calls, Dealer calls

River: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 15 BB

Winner: Villan UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Here’s my thought: Villain is 10.5 to 1 to make his draw. Against Hero and the calling station, the implied odds were right for Villain to just lay back and call through the turn – he didn’t need to raise up the pot. Building the pot to 13.5 bb at the turn with a gutshot draw makes Villain a bit of a maniac.

Does this analysis seem correct? Any thoughts other than "how can I get into this game"?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: SS home game - Is Villain shrewd or a maniac?

Villian is wrong. Play more poker with villian.

BTW, the correct hypothecial action would be villian folding the turn. He's only getting 8.5-1 to call for the gutshot which isn't enough to even call especially with dealer still to act.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM

I think you're turn overcall is bad and river play is really bad.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:32 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're turn overcall is bad and river play is really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

flop's bad too. You got PF right.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop's bad too. You got PF right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. I must have been so sidetracked by the river that I forgot all about the missing flop 3-bet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]