Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2005, 10:07 PM

Default KK -- Call Reraise To Minimize Risk of Losing to Ace on Flop?

Party $50 MTT, Blinds at 100/200. I think the chip ave was around 3500 at this point.

Hero in MP with 5000
CO at 5088
SB at 3748

With KK I raise to 700. CO calls. SB reraises to 2000.
I go all-in. CO calls and the SB folds.

CO has an AKo and I lose when an Axx flops.

I didn't have a problem pushing here. My thinking was that the SB could have other hands besides AA, with KK, QQ being the other big possibilities, and maybe AKs and AK, with a lesser possibility of JJ and TT. I gave myself at least a 50% chance of being ahead here. I also hope to increase the chances of a fold from the CO by pushing.

The question I have is whether calling the SB's reraise would have made any sense. The idea is survival. It's very likely that at least one of these guys has an Ace. So let's see the flop, and if there is no Ace, then push. (Had I done that here, I'd lose the hand but still have 3000 chips and remain very alive in the tournament)

Of course the downside to calling is that it lets both the CO and SB see a flop which they may hit in some other bad way for me (the SB did fold). Plus possibly losing the chance to get bad pre-flop calls by inferior hands (like the CO did).

So is calling an option here to help avoide the results of this hand? Or just forget about the results oriented over-analysis and push away?