Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Why don\'t you play No Limit?

dont like the larger swings and it makes me think more than i want to [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 10:23 PM

Because I'm afraid of it. A bad beat at a limit table can put a dent in my stack. A bad beat at no-limit can take my stack.

Once I get to a comfortable point in limit, I'm going to start giving NL a shot. But for now, I'm just building the bankroll and working on moving up in limits so it's actually providing a decent cashflow. Multitabling 1/2 right now, so I've still got a bit to go.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont like the larger swings and it makes me think more than i want to [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The swings aren't larger, but like you I wouldnt' be too thrilled about losing a buyin to a runner runner straight or something like that.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just started opened a NL 10 at Stars for shi[/i]ts and giggles. This is kinda fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, it sure is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM

The variance at NL is much smaller than at limit (and much much smaller than 6 max limit). I'd always heard this but now that I've seen graphs of my play, it's pretty obvious.

But yes, you do need to get used to putting your money in the middle and having it disappear every once in a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 10:30 PM

maybe your right. im just not comfortable playing NL until i feel that i can dominate the limit structure. also, i find limit to move at a faster pace, which i would rather take part in.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:31 PM

I'm going out on a limb here:

Some people just plain like Limit more than No-Limit, just out of personal choice.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:33 PM

multitabling... i imagine playing 4 tables in NL takes more delicate reads than 4 tables of limit (which most of htese posters play at)

and some of us do (well, only SnG's and MTT's here)
Old 07-16-2005, 10:43 PM

I tried a few hours of NL maybe a month ago, when I bought GSIH I tried out Miller's bit on playing shortstacked NL (hard to do in stars when at .01/.02 you can only buy in for 50bb minimum).

It was the least interesting 3 hours of the whole hobby for me. I played maybe 4 hands the entire time, and lost my stack maybe 3 times. Not that fun, nope.

It's probably better as a tourney format though. Last night I tried a $5+.5 Limit SnG only to bubble 90 minutes later [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 11:05 PM

I play limit cash games and NL SNG's and MTT online. I don't like playing NL cash games online, no chips to push in, no physical tells. Makes the game extremly boring to play. Tournaments online are different because even though it also lacks chips and physical tells, it is like a competition to come in first place, which makes it very enjoyable. Limit is ok online too, because physical tells are a much smaller part of the game and you can't go all in, so having a huge stack doesn't make a difference.

edit: I play mostly online, thats why I am comparing the two even though it wasn't a part of your question.