Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Please Help - Urgent blind situation

I have been playing poker for 6 years online, at foxwoods, and everybar i can. However the way my favorite bar plays has been a heated debate for a year now and i need some educated opinions.
They say "it does not matter in a no limit tourn how the blinds are raised as long as the starting chips are the same"
So they play with say 35 chips to start, and raise as follows every 15 minutes: 1/2-2/4-3/6-4/8-5/10-6/12-7/14-8/16-9/18-10/20-11/22-12/24-13/26-you get the picture.
(and you wonder why the 1st big stack will usually win if the game ever even ends.
I say- "we should play like it is played online, at binions WSOP, on the WPT tour, online, i guess everywhere else, if for no other reason then it is the correct way to play.
However i have other reasons - the correct raising of the blinds insures the game flows at the correct pace. When done properly as most of you know you always have a shot to win if you have chips, but with constant 2 chip increases one almost never has a chance to wear down the chip leader.
They dont buy this.
The other reason is it takes alot of time to continually count and move stacks of 20 chips just for blinds (they dont color up or anything)
Solution if played there way (if there is one)- am i correct? - play their way but raise chips equivalent to the correct way - like this - 1/2-2/4-4/8-6/12-8/16-12/24-16/32
ect. Still hard to count and move, but at least mathmatically correct.
Ideally we should do correctly - whatever in starting chips - all in 25, 50, and 100's.
Raise the blinds as so - 25/50-50/100-100/200-150/300-200/400-300/600-400/800-600/1200-800/1600, ect, and chip up to all 100's as we go - since it is simple to do. No confusion there it seems to me, but I am told it is too complicated to do this and of course, "it does not matter anyway"
LOL, please help me with these fools.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Please Help - Urgent blind situation

[ QUOTE ]

So they play with say 35 chips to start, and raise as follows every 15 minutes: 1/2-2/4-3/6-4/8-5/10-6/12-7/14-8/16-9/18-10/20-11/22-12/24-13/26-you get the picture.
(and you wonder why the 1st big stack will usually win if the game ever even ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's more due to the fact that you only start out with 17.5 big blinds, which means if you dont catch some cards right out of the gate, youre going to be short-stacked relatively quickly (say your ten-handed table plays 60 hands per hour [lightning fast for a live game]; if you dont see a hand by the first blind increase, you'll have gone through the blinds once and now have a stack of 32 chips, or only eight big blinds at the new level! You're already short-stacked, and it's only been fifteen minutes!)

The key isn't how much your starting stack is (dude this tourney sucks - you only start out with T1,000! At the other site I played on, they always start you out with T1,500), but how big it is relative to the blinds. Here, it doesn't matter that they go up to a strange amount - what matters is you are pretty much starting out as a medium-short stack.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:02 AM

Is there really such a thing as an "Urgent" blind situation?

Relax....
Old 05-14-2005, 08:51 AM

wow, your a very educated poker player, and thanks for the input. idiot.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:33 PM

Yep, you sure showed him, it will be a while before he makes a harmless comment again.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:10 PM

I may not follow this exactly, but I don't think that "correct" is the correct word to use here. That's like saying the common 4-door sedan is the "correct" sized car. Their tournament schedule is fair and unambigous, that's what matters.

And now, since I feel in "Guru" mode I'll say this: there's higher EV in dealing with "is" than there is in changing (or complaining about) "is" to "should". This means you are better off figuring out the best strategy for this structure.

With only 35 chips and 1-2 blinds, and as the other responder pointed out you are short stacked if you don't get a hand in the first 15 minutes, I'd say this structure reverses from the regular: most are short stacked early but later on most will have plenty of chips vis-a-vis the blinds. Usually late most are short stacked and there are a couple big stacks; here there will be mostly big stacks and a few short stacks later on.

You are going to HAVE to have chips later on, perhaps after an hour, otherwise the big stacks are going to attack you blind, and most of the others WILL have big stacks. This means you'll have to gamble early, since surviving just puts you in a bad position later. Attack the weak-tight blinds and hope you win the first confrontation.

When you get to the end you should figure to have plenty of chips to play short handed, which is ideal if you play short handed well.

- Louie
Old 05-15-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, your a very educated poker player, and thanks for the input. idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to crosspost, you probably shouldn't insult people. And he's right, it's not urgent.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And now, since I feel in "Guru" mode I'll say this: there's higher EV in dealing with "is" than there is in changing (or complaining about) "is" to "should". This means you are better off figuring out the best strategy for this structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm glad you decided to go into Guru mode, because I'm writing that quote down in my poker journal.

/yes, I keep a poker journal
//no, you can't see it - it's super-secret and I dot all my 'i's with little hearts.*

*just kidding.