Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2005, 10:18 AM

Default average POTS won per hour...or...\"patience, patience, patience\"

So I realize that in any normal poker discussion, it's a horrible mistake to ever think in terms of "number of pots won", because, after all, you could "win" 100 tiny pots and still blow your whole stack chasing bad draws.

However, my question has to do with patience. Namely: I need to learn it. People talk about big bets won per hour and the like, but the concept itself is, of course, somewhat deceptive in that you could be winning 3 big bets per hour long-term, but you could often be going several hours without really winning any big pots...or at least, that's what I assume.

So, that being said, I'm wondering how long (on average) winning players tend to go between winning those big pots that are the whole purpose of all that waiting. If I'm sitting around for two hours without winning a big pot, is that normal? What about three hours? four? I realize that one of the keys to being a winning player is having that PATIENCE to wait for the big hands, knowing that they will come, and I think if I had an idea of just how long that "wait" normally is, it would help me fold those marginal draws a lot more easily.

I really feel like I'm at that point where if I could just knock out those one or two "tilt" hands per hour, I'd be into solidly profitable play. But when I sit there getting trash hand after hand after hand, I start to get nervous about the blinds and then all that talk of "big bets per hour" starts floating through my head and before I know it I'm in there chasing a dumb hand and there goes another few chips I should have saved...