Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Please tell me, why do experienced players have \'Amnesia\'?

I really want to know why it seems, when it comes to how many experienced players deal with newbies, why it seems they seem to have selective Amnisia and forget what it was like, when THEY were learning how to play poker?

I see this over and over, and had experienced it first hand, mostly during the first year I was learning how to play.

One incident when I had only been playing for 5 weeks, and only my 2nd time at a live face to face table, one player decided it was 'pick on the newbie' game day, and I was made the butt of every joke, and every mistake I made, was loudly announced for the whole room to hear.

I was made to feel very very small, and stupid, all because some of the moves I made back then, were those of a newbie player, and simply put ... I didn't know any better back then.

It got so bad, that finally I burst into tears, grabbed my chips, cashed them out, and ran out of there as fast as my legs could carry me.

I almost quit playing poker that day.

However, as I was running out of the place, in tears, the Manager was coming in, and inquired what had happened to me.

Once he heard what happened, he was furious, and ejected the offending player from the room, baring him for I can't remember how long.

He then took it upon himself, to look up my phone number, then call me and assure me a number of times, that THIS isn't how New poker players (or players in general) were to be treated, at least not in HIS establishment. Finally, I believed him, and went back and played again (this time with no problems), and have been playing poker ever since. I also swore at that time, that I'd never EVER forget what it was like to be a new player, nor would I let any OTHER player do to a new player what had been done to me, or any variation there of, ever again, at least not while I was present.

Even still though, after this happened, and during that first year, I found myself many times on the defensive, as players who KNEW I was green, would berate me for my play, telling me how stupid I was for calling this or that (often in the form of a personal attack), seeming to forget that EVERYONE has to start the learning process somewhere, and forgetting what it was like, regardless of how long ago it was, when THEY first learned how to play.

Thus the question ... why is it so hard for most experienced players to remember the trials and tribulations of when they themselves first learned how to play poker?

Why is it so hard to walk in the newbies shoes, and cut them some slack?

Why do experience players, seem to have Amnisia when it comes to newbie players?

Comments?