Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Deciding whether to call down a turn reraise...

...and in hindsight it looks bad I guess. However, I've seen some pretty wack stuff in my 3 days of starting to learn 6-max.

Villain's stats:

44.1 / 14 / 0.82

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (3 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Side question: Who uses PokerAce HUD's aggression factor instead of the Pokertracker AFTotal, and if so, could you give me a rough translation? I'm used to the PT stat but I've been trying out the PAH one, and I find that after I've posted the hand (and posting it with the PT stat) my play looks donkish. Is there any advantage to using the PAH aggresion factor stat? Links would be appreciated.

EDIT: Yes, the BB really did fold instead of checking preflop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Deciding whether to call down a turn reraise...

just lead every street. this guy isnt very aggressive, you cant count on him to bet if checked to. waiting for the turn to c/r isnt good at all

folding the river u/i and calling are close
Old 12-17-2005, 02:11 PM

What's with the flop check? You need to bet that every time.

As far as the rest of it goes, I think calling down is fine without a read. I certainly wouldn't hold it against you if you folded the river UI, though.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 PM

IMO the flop is way too coordinated to worry about extracting the most bets from your TP;I'd just lead the flop. The way it played out, a turn peel is a must regardless because you have outs, and I call the river. This turn looks like a pretty fishy check-raise heads-up and the Villain may put you on a wide range of hands here.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:27 PM

I am still of a mind that you need a good read at 6 MAX (especially $1 $2) to fold TP good kicker in this spot. I think you will see a worse queen here often enough for a calldown to be correct.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:44 PM

Not a big fan of the flop play here. I would lead out myself to gauge villains reaction and get a bet in with a strong hand. But if I misclicked and checked, and villain bets, well then I would throw in a raise and lead out the turn. Can't comment on anything else in this hand as it would have played out differently had u not done the check/call thing which in my opinion is really weak. It's because of this weak play that you had to sit there and wonder whether or not to invest 2BBs (turn + river) in finding out if your hand is best.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:12 PM

Check/calling the flop and raising the turn is not something I'd do with this hand.

On the flop, I like betting out. I like the hand somewhat but the board is straight and flush coordinated. Villian could have a made straight already and this board makes a lot of two pair hands also. If I'm going to find out UTG made a very good hand, I'd rather it be on the flop than on a big street.

If I got raised on the flop, I'd bet out the turn. UTG might have raised with a straight and flush draw or a straight flush draw. But if he raises the turn, I'd just call hoping to improve and I'd probably check/fold the river UI, but I might check/call depending on my read. This villian is pretty passive making me lean towards a fold.

That 6 on the river completes the T7 OESD also. I think a 44 VPIP guy plays T7 from UTG.

I think checkraising the turn was overaggressive. Your hand is only mediocre on this board where the flop could have hit UTG hard.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Like everyone said, I think you should bet out this flop.

If you check call this flop then the check raise on the turn is fine. I don't lay this down, so I like check calling on the river.